What To Watch Instead Of The Presidential Debates

The best shows and movies that will either make you laugh, cry, or want to bang your head against a wall.

24
Matt Miller

We can all breathe a sigh of relief because the Presidential Debates have finally come to an end. As the most watched debates in U.S. history more Americans than ever were popping some Advil, downing boxed wine, and screaming at their television. I'm glad they're over so I no longer have to block out two hours of my life a week to hate the world more than I already do, but I will miss them a little bit, mostly for the amazing SNL sketches that came out of them. If you're also looking for something to fill this void in your heart, here's a list of replacement shows/movies that can make you feel a healthy fraction of the emotions you've dealt with during this election season.

Master of None

If you just need a good laugh go for Master of None, created and starred in by Aziz Ansari. It's a clever comedy that you can easily binge-watch a few times before the second season comes out in 2017. It's funny, sweet, diverse, and a refreshing take on a classic storyline.

John Mulaney

John Mulaney has two stand-up comedy specials on Netflix, New In Town and The Comeback Kid. They'll both have you laughing hard enough to accidentally choke on your popcorn. To keep it political, he even has a bit about how his parents went to school with Bill Clinton.

House of Cards

If you're really brave enough to watch a show about politics after all this, House of Cards is the best choice. You'll either end up being thankful we don't live in a world where all our politicians are as conniving as Frank Underwood, or you'll become even more suspicious of our government than you already are. Underwood 2016!

Audrie & Daisy

This one is for everyone who hasn't experienced enough online harassment and degrading comments about women yet this year. On a serious note, I would highly recommend this documentary to everyone, especially high school to college age students. This documentary follows the stories of a few girls and their families after their sexual assaults. It's a sad watch but incredibly eye-opening and offers a perspective from victims that will better your understanding of what people go through after being assaulted.

The Hunting Ground

On a similar note, The Hunting Ground is a documentary about sexual assault on college campuses. I especially like this film because it explores the failures of college administrations in dealing with sexual assault cases. If you're inspired to learn more and help make a difference after viewing, head on over to itsonus.org or research the policies on your own college campus and look for student organizations that support survivors.

Bo Burnham

Another stand-up comedian who also has two Netflix specials, what. and Make Happy. Bo is so original because he incorporates music and visuals into his shows in a way I've never seen done before. It's more than just witty stand-up, it's a performance.

Kids Baking Championship

Yes, I really did watch this and yes, I really am recommending it. Honestly anything on Food Network is my form of therapy, but these kids are just so precious they gave me hope for the future of our world.

Troll 2

A movie that is even worse than this election cycle. If you're looking for something that is just so terrible it's funny, this is the best of the best. It's about vegetarian goblins (yes, goblins, there are no trolls in this movie despite the title) who turn people into plants so they can eat them. Watch this with a group of friends who will appreciate your trash taste in movies and have a good laugh.

The Mask You Live In

Donald Trump: the living embodiment of toxic masculinity. So here's a documentary all about healthy masculinity, and how American culture's representation and expectations of men can be harmful to our boys.

Miss Representation

On the flip side of the coin, this film made by the same organization that made The Mask You Live In, The Representation Project, this documentary explores how the media portrays women and discusses why women are so underrepresented in some fields in the United States, such as the political sphere.

So whether you need a laugh, a cry, or more information about topics brought up in this election season, you're all set to kick back with some hot chocolate and pretend that you don't have midterms you should be studying for.