11 Things You Learn Quickly If You're Visiting New York City

Life is much different in the City That Never Sleeps.

255
Instagram

I recently came back from a three-day vacation in New York City (my favorite place in the world). I had been to this city before; however, I hadn't been there for about six years. Life is much different in the City that Nevers Sleeps and a lot has changed in the past six years. Over the course of my trip, I noticed some things that make the fashion capital of the world quite a bit different than Southeast Michigan.

1. Most restaurants don't give out straws.

I did not ask any of my servers why straws are not given out; however, I do know that they are terrible for the environment. With 8.5 million people living in NYC and millions more traveling there, giving out unnecessary straws would lead to loads of trash that would pollute the city and injure the animals that live there as well.

2. Uber is cheaper than taxis.

The rise of the Uber has been beneficial to many travelers. Uber, on average, is cheaper than taxis according to my friend (a New Yorker). The vehicles are also easier to procure since you can use an app instead of having to hail a cab. While on vacation, I did not use a taxi cab at all. I did, however, use Uber twice.

3. Prices are high... for everything.

When I go out to dinner in Southeast Michigan, I might expect to pay $30-$40 for two people to eat. In New York, the cost was between $70-$80 for two people to eat. The average cost of an entrée in NYC is $20, for appetizers $15, cocktails $15, and desserts $15. While this can be costly, the number of delicious restaurants in town make it worth the money.

4. There is a Starbucks on every corner!

According to Google, there are more than 220 Starbucks in New York City. I am not surprised. I saw one on almost every corner! Although there are so many Starbucks, you would be surprised to find out there are more than 600 Dunkin Donuts in NYC.

5. Many of the tourists are international.

It is cool to see how many people come from around the world to visit the Big Apple. In particular, there were many international travelers on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty.

6. The streets are easier to navigate than you think.

Most of the streets are numbered. There are streets which span North to South. These streets are numbered along with the avenues that run perpendicular to the streets. If I knew where I was on one street or avenue, I could easily navigate my way to other streets or avenues.

7. There are no breed restrictions.

Some cities in Michigan, and many private properties, have rules regarding "vicious" dog breeds. The cities/private properties ban dogs like pit bulls and German shepherds from living on the property. In New York, there is no breed restriction. Any breed of dog is welcome in most apartment complexes and condominiums.

8. Stores are open later!

Whereas most businesses close between the hours of 9pm-11pm in Michigan, the stores in New York City are open past midnight. These stores include convenience stores, restaurants, and retail stores. The Old Navy on Times Square closes at 2 am.

9. People mind their own business.

When I walk down the streets of NYC, nobody looks at me or judges me. People mind their own business. They let people sing and dance in public if they want. I can wear what I want and not be judged. It is nice to be in a city where you can be free to be you in public without fear of judgment.

10. Most New Yorkers are more than willing to help you find your way.

When I was lost in the city or did not understand how to navigate the subways, the New Yorkers were always friendly and willing to help me find my way. Even while on the job, a New Yorker would go out of their way to make sure I knew where I was going.

11. Restaurants don't split checks.

When eating in a big group, the server will bring out one bill for the entire table. It is not normal to ask the server to split tabs and the servers never ask.

While the vacation wasn't as long as I would have liked, I am lucky to have visited such a wonderful city. Now that I know these things about NYC, I will be more prepared next time I make a visit.