Dear PNMs, Here Are 8 Truths You Need To Know About Greek Life

You'll join looking for friends, but instead find brothers or sisters.
901

Dear PNMs,

Recruitment is just around the corner, and we are SO excited to meet and get to know all of you. You may have some doubts or worries going through this process, but I can assure you that you are about to make the best decision of your life. Here are eight truths you need to know about joining Greek life:

1. You gain a support system.

These men/women become more than just friends, they become your brothers/sisters. They will stick by you through thick and thin. They are family and that will never change, despite how old you grow. You gain such a special bond that most people won't understand.

2. You learn time management.

Greek life is definitely something that requires a time commitment, but it teaches you to manage your time. This will prepare you for the real world. There will be times that you feel overwhelmed with your school work, your organization, and everything else going on in your life, but you will learn quickly how to balance it all.

3. The opportunity to give back.

Each Greek organization has their own philanthropies, some of which may be very personal to you. It is the most rewarding thing to give back to your community. You are making a difference more than you realize, and these are special memories you will hold with you for the rest of your life.

4. Leadership opportunities.

Within your sorority or fraternity, you have several opportunities to work hard and hold a chair or executive position. They are huge responsibilities, but they teach you skills that you will need for the rest of your life.

5. We don't hate you if you don't run our way.

We may be praying to God that you run home to us, but if you found your home somewhere else, that's okay! We will still be happy for you and wish you the best, wherever your home may be.

6. You are not "buying" your friends.

Yes, you pay dues every semester. But these dues also go to furniture in the chapter room, t-shirts, philanthropic events, social events, etc. Whenever someone tries to tell you something like this, they just don't know the truths about Greek life.

7. Better grades.

I was really afraid my grades were going to drop when I rushed, but they actually got better! First of all, you need a specific GPA to even go through rush and need an even higher GPA to hold an executive or chair position. You will always be encouraged to study and work as hard as you can!

8. Networking opportunities.

You are joining an entire Greek community full of different types of people with different majors. You will meet so many people that your chances of getting your name heard for a job offer is much higher. You learn how to talk to people during recruitment and you even have a ton of alumni who are willing to help you get on your feet.

You don't just join your sorority or fraternity, you join the entire Greek community. The Greek community is always excited to gain new members and we are so excited to see where you run home!