What College Has Taught Me

What College Has Taught Me

What people don't tell you about college, college definitely isn't like high school, and some things I wish I knew before I started my college career.

3
What College Has Taught Me

In August of 2018, I started my freshman year of college at Missouri State University. I am from a small town and had basically no clue what to expect. Would I have huge classes or small ones like I am used to? Will I be able to keep getting good grades?

Will I make friends? The list of questions went on and on. I came in knowing more than I thought I did, but some things still caught me off guard. So, I decided to make a list of the things people don't tell you about college and some things that I wish I knew.

You have the freedom to make your own choices, you are an adult now.

If your parents come with you to help you move in, once they leave you have to make your own decisions. One of the things that I adjusted to pretty quickly was that I did not have to ask them if I could go places.

On the other hand, when I visited home during the semester and now that I am back for the summer, I had to remind myself that I couldn't just walk out the door without saying anything.

Your professors care about you. 

Your professors want you to be in class. Even though you can skip classes, you should try and go to all of them. If you are sick or have some kind of emergency where you will not be in class, email them! It will help a lot in the long run, especially if you try in your classes.

Sometimes you will not get an answer back and other times they might send you the materials that were covered in class.

You will make friends.

Talk to the people in your classes, if you live in a dorm talk to your roommate and the people that live in your hall. To make friends you have to talk to people and if you decide that you don't want to be friends with someone, you can find someone else to talk to until you find a group of people or just one or two people that you "click" with.

I know you hear it everywhere, but get involved. 

This is one I wish I listened to first semester. There are tons of groups on any campus for you to be a part of. Rush for a frat or sorority if you want or join a club. This is one of the pieces of advice that I was given the most.

Classes will be harder so you will need to study.

I wish I knew how true this statement actually was before classes started. I am lucky enough that I never had to study in high school, but when it came to college it was a different story.

I came into college not knowing how to study and only had what I did for tests in high school to fall back on which was basically me looking over my notes the night before the test.

You cannot do this in college because there are materials that are not covered in class but are on the test. Knowing how to complete and learn those materials and how to study are important skills to have.

Stay organized!!

You can't keep track of your stuff if you don't know where it is. Getting a planner and writing down when assignments are due can help you to know when to start working on them so they are done in time.

Be responsible...or at least be safe.

You are responsible for your own decision now. You decide if you go out or if you stay in and what you do with your time. If you are going to go to parties, be smart about what you do and who you are with. Not everyone is going to have the same intentions as you. Don't drink if you are driving and be careful if you are drinking!

Go to class and ask questions.

Going to class and reading the materials for the class beforehand is going to help you a lot more than you think. If you don't understand something, ask questions. You are probably not the only one thinking them. If you don't want to ask the question in class, go to your professor's office hours or email them.

You will get asked about your major all the time.

At family events, by parents, by friends, by your friend's parents, work, and so many more places and people. Be prepared and know what you are studying. Throwing in what you are studying to also help. If you are undecided, that's fine too! You still have plenty of time to find what you want to do.

Go to bed early...

Waking up in the morning and being well rested is much better than only having five minutes to get ready before class because you slept through your alarm (or alarms).

Having more time to wake up in the morning will make sure that you can actually go to class and pay attention or at least not fall back asleep.

...but know that some of the best memories are made because you stayed up late.

Staying up with your friends and making memories is almost worth being exhausted in class. Playing Mario Kart at 3 in the morning or staying up binge-watching a new show on Netflix or Hulu with your friends is so much fun on the weekends.

There is just something about just doing during the week when you know you have class in the morning that makes winning that much better.

Take these tips and advice and do what you want with them. If you are starting college, then good luck and I hope you do as good as you hope to do!