What They Don't Tell You About College

What They Don't Tell You About College

Surprisingly, many people forget that they’re paying for their education.

23
What They Don't Tell You About College
Google Images

When deciding to go to college, you have expectations. It may not be scene-for-scene of your favorite college movie, but you go in with a similar picture in the back of your mind. It is all you know, until you experience it—crazy parties, keg stands, Thad Castle or Zac Efron going hard, life-changing professors that make you realize who you want to be, the best roommate ever or one that wants to take over your life and become you, sorority guys and girls hazing pledges, studious thick framed glasses and sweater vests, an Instagram worthy cup of coffee, ridiculous clubs dedicated to doing nothing—the whole shebang. I mean, you know it won’t be an exact replica of all the college movies and shows you’ve watched, but you can't help but hope it will be somewhat like that picturesque college adventure.

I know excitement and nerves and curiosity to discover this whole new world is driving you to wish the summer months away before that first year, but maybe it’s good to hear a few things people rarely tell you, just so college doesn’t fall short of your expectations.

College is still a huge chapter of our life, full of memories and experiences that will set the stage of your adult life, but it doesn’t have to be your glory days and golden years. It can be the start of finding yourself, a beginning of a chapter or the end of a chapter, where you finally finish puberty, or where you make your first actual best friend. But it doesn’t have to be. It’s all about what you want out of the experience. Although I have not yet finished my education at college I can confidently say that it is what you make it.

The effort that you put into your experience shapes your entire college career. Nothing will fall in your lap, you have to go looking for the friends, the clubs, the hotspots, your favorite cup of coffee, your favorite bench. You have to mold and shape your college years into what you want it to be. Otherwise you will never be happy no matter where you go or where you transfer.

Not many movies show how expensive college is, and these unforeseen expenses can really stress you out. If you have parents who will help you pay for college, thank them endlessly. Without my dad paying for my education, I wouldn’t be going to college. Not only will it suck away you parent's money, but it will also take your savings and spending money faster than you can possibly imagine. Despite having a meal plan, you will find yourself eating and drinking elsewhere more than you think. You will also go shopping online or in the local shops frequently. You might also have to pay for laundry, so prepare to re-wear your jeans to the point they are so loose you will think you are loosing weight. In colleges with city settings, most street parking is metered, and if you want a pass to park in the parking garages prepare to drop $500 or more on a pass per semester.

Contrary to what all the movies advertise, every night is not a party. Maybe that first week, but eventually people grasp the concept that alcohol costs money and become stingier as the parties continue. Unless you want to sacrifice that coveted cup of $10 coffee from your new favorite coffee shop, I suggest you ration your spending appropriately. You will also grow tired of that scene even though it is now so intriguing. I am no party animal by any means, but I love being social and going to events like BBQs and themed parties. Remember it is OK to say no. There is always next time, I promise you.

Initially, you’ll make so many friends that you’ll forget their faces and get embarrassed when they approach you and greet you by name. As the semester progresses your friend group will narrow and that is so OK. Focus on the people who love you just as much walking to an 8 a.m. on Tuesdays as they do at 11 p.m. on a Saturday night dance floor. I’m not saying that all of those acquaintances that you form will become your enemies or will be forgotten; they’ll still remain ever present on your Facebook profile and be a familiar face in the dinning hall, but don't stretch yourself thin for a temporary friend.

We are all aware that we are here to get a degree and an education—well at least one would hope. Surprisingly, many people forget that they’re paying for their education. So professors don’t care if you’re a no show. They aren’t going to track you down and check up on you, most could care less and don’t blink an eye when submitting that D or F because ultimately you earned it. A note from mommy won’t get you a retake on that exam you didn’t study for. I’m not saying family emergencies are null and void, most professors as well as the university are very understanding and are willing to work with you when it comes to emergencies. Many of these people who forget why they're at college or could care less about their mom and/or dad’s bank account will come to a a sucky realization. They will realize that college is not for them. They can't hang. And if they don't realize that, the university will do it for them. Within my first semester I saw many friends realize that college isn’t for them and they left. Even more realized this after their first year, and if they didn't, their parents did. Just keep in mind why you’re here, and respect your parents and ultimately yourself- it is you future.

College isn’t cake and those who say so haven’t encountered that challenging course just yet. They haven't struggled with a professor or been so baffled with an assignment that they literally never complete it.

Ultimately, college can be whatever you want it to be. Apply yourself. Give it your all. Keep in mind why you are really there. C's do get degrees, after all.