5 Things To Keep In Mind The Next Time You're Dining At A Restaurant

Servers are providing a service. You would pay a plumber for fixing your sink so you should pay your server for serving you food.

Whitney Marie Halaby
578

1. As surprising as this may sound, we don’t create the menu

We understand that some menu items may seem a little strange, but we didn’t create the menu. Usually there is some corporate chef sitting in his corporate kitchen who thinks up the menu items. So please, don’t antagonize and question us about why something is on the menu. We honestly do not know. But don't worry, we are happy to answer questions about individual menu items.

2.We also don’t create the prices … shocking I know

We are servers, we usually get paid around $3.63 an hour. We literally have no say, whatsoever about the price of menu items, or when happy hour ends, or even when the restaurant opens/closes. We understand that sometimes things are pricey, but please do not give us hell for it. We’re just doing our job. And also, there’s Yelp so you can see how expensive restaurants are before you step in the door.

3.You’re not our only table

In case you’re a little oblivious, servers usually have 5 to 6 table sections, if not more. We do our best to make sure every table has what they need while maintaining a good level of customer service. Unfortunately, we only have two arms and two legs so it is impossible for us to be at each table all at once. I promise you, we don’t forget about you. We see your glaring eyes as we dash across the floor. So please be patient and we will get to you.

4.We don't cook the food

Many of us have literally no professional cooking experience which is why we are the ones serving you. So when food comes out wrong there is a 95% chance it isn’t our fault (unless of course we put the order in wrong). We understand that it can be frustrating when your food does not come out the way you wanted. And we are happy to go back and fix it for you. But please, for the love of god, don’t yell at us or scream at us or even tip us less over something we literally have no control over.

5.Learn how to tip

I have worked in restaurants since I was 16 and servers come from all walks of life. Some of my coworkers have been in high school, some graduate students and others have been career servers. But we all have one thing in common: we have bills to pay and mouths to feed (even if it is just our own). Now-a-days the proper amount to tip is 20%. Please keep in mind that we also tip out other restaurant employees such as hosts, food runners, and bartenders. So when you tip 20% we really only end up seeing 15% of that. And if you tip less than 20% we usually end up losing money. If you cannot afford to tip then don’t go out to eat. Servers are providing a service. You would pay a plumber for fixing your sink so you should pay your server for serving you food.