What Remains Of The Berlin Wall?
Politics

What Remains Of The Berlin Wall?

The historic wall is not forgotten nor gone. It has new usages and unusual homes.

47
What Remains Of The Berlin Wall?
Ashley Blumlein

The Berlin Wall still exists today. In minimal scattered pieces across the globe, it remains to be a relic of its oppressive state.

65 cranes, 175 trucks and 13 bulldozers removed most of the wall from the inner city by 1990 and outer city by 1992. Remains of the concrete slabs were used for highway gravel.

About 600 pieces have been scattered throughout the world to make up 140 memorials. Most pieces can be experienced by walking around or entering into Germany. It allows visitors who were not yet born to see what East and West Germans saw, and to have the privilege to touch the wall, which many were forbidden from and could not get near.

Stretching at 1.3 kilometers, The East Side Gallery is the longest Berlin Wall relic and can be seen in 20 minutes. Containing 118 artworks hailing from 21 countries, the open air gallery debuted on Sep. 28, 1990. At any time, you can visit the in-tact wall which has protected mural status.

Quite a few of the artworks draw attention to the past, comment on social stances and are a celebration of repressed groups. Of them: Soviet ruler Leonid Brezhnev kissing former East Germany's communist leader Erich Honecker, and a mock curriculum vitae outlining the wall's history of oppression.

The gallery is subjected to climate and pollution, requiring regular restorations. Its most recent and notable restoration involved 81 returning artists repainting 100 works. The accumulation of years have seen graffiti additions from outsiders. Glistened onto the existing works are modern day political griefs taking charge at the England's conservative Tory party and the United States' own proposed wall.

Throughout Berlin, other walls remain as they did in 1961. Bullet-holed wall relics stand ominously and overlook the historic Berlin Cathedral. Escapees would be captured or killed from a mirage of guards or terrain. In East Germany, religion was suppressed until just before the wall fell. It would be through churches that civilians could gather and plan their famed rebellions.

Demolished pieces were donated to museums and became revenues as they auctioned them to media companies. Sentimental value and education were driving forces to honing a collection. Having the wall was a symbol of the era's end and a proclamation to people that it would never happen in the village of Schengen, Luxembourg.

The city of Berlin bestowed Seoul with 3 meters wide in walls and built Berlin Square. At large, that country's tensions bare a similar history to East and West Germany. German designers hoped the space would allow Koreans to consider a reunification of the Korean peninsula. Other locations are not as meaningful, one being located in the men's bathroom of a Las Vegas casino. The US alone has 50 locations.

Pieces have also been personally taken by locals– dubbed "Wall Peckers." As the wall's end was declared, excited locals yearning 28 years for that moment grabbed tools and took delight in dismantling it. Hammers, chisels and sledgehammers were readily available for rental from young West Berlin entrepreneurs. From the night into the day, civilians took aim. Border guards did not impede the process and watched on.

The Wall Museum in Berlin boosts a plentiful collection of photographs cataloging those days.