What Really Happens When You Live With Your Best Friend

It will be a rollercoaster, but you won't regret it

56
Lorna Johnson

So what is it like to actually live with your best friend though out your four years of college? The most honest answer I can give you is, it will be a ROLLERCOASTER.

There will be days when-when you get on each other's nerves 99.999% of the time and you just cannot agree on anything regarding your apartment. But there will also be times when you know it's the best experience ever! (I mean, sleepovers every night, always having a second closet on deck, and having someone to freak out with you when there's a thunderstorm and the power goes out, YES PLEASE!) I'm sure you've heard people say, "don't live with your best friend in college," "it will turn into a disaster," "it will ruin your friendship forever."

And don't get me wrong, it will definitely test you. It will pull you through ups and downs whether you like it or not. And after much experience, take my advice — do not be in denial about it. Otherwise, your dorm room or your apartment will become a very hostile place. Take a step back from the situation and realize it's just part of life. You guys have lived in each other's pockets for a long time at this point, you've been through heartbreaks and met your future husbands, you've cried over assignments, exams, and work experience, you've developed new friend groups outside of one another, you've found out they don't always move their laundry as fast as you'd like.

But it's OK! You've grown up. You've changed. Your friendship WILL change and evolve. And that's okay too! You will go through times when you don't talk when you're both in the kitchen, you will go through times where you send one word texts, and you really don't remember the last time you talked unless in involved "we need more tinfoil, who's getting it this week?"

But when you take that step back and you realize, "I live with my freaking best friend," you can snap yourself right back to move in day of freshman year when you guys had the next 4 years of adventure at your fingertips! You remember that there's always someone to laugh with until you cry literally 5 steps away. Someone for you to knock on their bedroom door just cause you're "bored and wanna creep out the window at people walking below." Someone who will always be there to give you a ride to class in the pouring rain, and who will always be down to bake cookies. Someone who you have so many memories with that you can barely breathe when you talk about them (many of which are at your own expense because there's so many embarrassing stories) and you cannot deny the fact that you have countless more memories to make.

So yes, living with your best friend is like a rollercoaster, but who couldn't love it? You will piss each other off, you will be the dynamic duo, you will fight, but you won't want to change it for the world.