What One Week of College Has Opened My Eyes To

College is different than high school in the aspect you are on your own.

3

Coming into freshmen year of high school I had no idea what to expect and how different things would be. In college you don't have any parents to really obey and no curfews to uphold like it was back in high school.

That reality was something that hit me like a truck. College is a new and exciting experience that often times people overlook and don't truly understand until actually experiencing it. College taught me that planning, friendships and saying no is so important.

The slur of welcome week events replaced my reality of time management because I was out every night meeting people and not having to worry about school. Once school started, I soon realized that the ability to say no to going out every single moment was imperative.

I overlooked the fact that I was here to get an education and not just make friends. Don't get me wrong, it is critical to build relationships and make new memories but getting an education and being successful should be the number one priority.

College is not easy, the deadlines are greater, and the workload is intense, but that is why it is so important to say no to always going out, especially if you know that you have homework and studying to do. Sometimes, though, putting off homework is acceptable if you know you can get back on track before the deadlines. That is the thing I have learned the most, choosing what to do and what not to do so that I can remain successful.

I am in no ways an expert, but it is something I have become aware of this past week since I've been here at Arizona State university. There is still so much I don't know, but I know for a fact that education should come first because you're not paying all this money for nothing.