What No Shave November Is Actually All About

Let it grow, let it grow... for cancer research.

69

No Shave November is the one month it's okay to not shave and easily get away with it whether it's beards, mustaches, leg hair, etc. We have always heard the term, and just sort of went along with it. But, have you ever stopped to think about what it actually means, where it came from, or asked why it is such a big topic in the specific month of November? The truth of the matter is, No Shave November is so much bigger than just letting your facial hair grow and cutting it come December.

The tradition of not shaving the month of November is actually traced back to Australia in 2004, when a group of 30 men put together an event to grow mustaches for 30 days. This was done to raise awareness for prostate cancer and depression in men. This movement became known as the Movember Foundation. The people who participate in this embrace the hair they are able to grow, and let it grow very freely. Reminding themselves that some cancer patients do not have that ability to do the same. However, there is a bit of a difference between Movember and No Shave November. For Movember, you can only grow out a mustache, it cannot connect to sideburns. No Shave November means no shaving for the entire month -- for the women and the men out there.

No Shave November, has been a tradition for numerous years, but in fall of 2009 members of the Hill family decided to make it into something bigger when their father passed away from colon cancer, They decided to use it as a way to raise money for different charities.

No Shave November is a month long process in which participants work to not shave or groom themselves in order to get people talking and to raise cancer awareness. It promotes donating the money one would typically spend on shaving and grooming to educate people on cancer prevention, research, and education. No Shave November is a non-profit organization donating to The American Cancer Society, Prevent Cancer Foundation, Fight Colorectal Cancer and St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in order to make this happen. They partner with many different brands in order to do so.

So, the rules are simple: put down the grooming tools and donate your monthly maintenance expenses to this cause! Be a part of this by growing a beard, growing a sweet mustache, letting those fine legs of yours go hairy, or by skipping your next waxing appointment -- and donate!

Click on this link to learn more about this great organization and start getting hairy! Here you can set up your own personal No-Shave November fundraising page. Or, if you are not ready to grow out that body hair, you can support someone who is!

Since shaving is such a big deal in our society, embrace that body hair for this coming month! Let it grow, let it grow.