What My Life As A Musician Has Taught Me

If my love and enjoyment for music is with me, then I know that I will be alright.
47

12 Years. 12 wonderful years full of memories and lessons that I plan to carry for the rest of my life. It is one thing to love listening to music, it’s a totally different thing to be a musician and create the sounds that others get to listen to.

Over the years it was never just about playing the right notes, it was more than that and it took me until now to fully appreciate what I have learned. My 8-year-old self-made a huge commitment and I thank her for it every day that I play.

Being a musician has taught me that you will only get better if you practice. There were times when I would be so frustrated while watching other kids play so well and I wanted to sound like them. But, I did not put in the effort that they did. Learning how to play an instrument relates to the saying of, “You only get out what you put in," so when I would only practice for 30 minutes a day, I performed in class as if I only practiced for 30 minutes a day.

I had to learn that I could not solely focus on my strengths, I had to work on what areas I was weak in. This would enable me to become a more well-rounded player. In life, we tend to want to only be around or strengths or positive qualities, when really, we should be trying to help our weaker parts, so we can reach out full potential.

Through music I have learned how to become more understanding of a person and find different way to express myself to the world. Music was a gateway for me to other arts like photography or writing. Music is a language that anyone can learn, and it is universal. It can translate to a depressed person and gives them a smile.

The perfect song might help the special someone to saying yes. Even adds suspense to our favorite action-packed movie or horror film. There is music all around us and without it, we start to lose a sense of ourselves and the connection we once had with other people.

My life with music has taught me to take chances. Sometimes I was terrified of how others would think of me when played, but eventually, I realized that all that matter was what I thought of my playing. Music taught me to be there for others and support them, even when they cannot support themselves; whether they were dealing with stage fright, me lending my rosin to them or telling when what measure we were on. I know they would have done the same for me and that is what makes the whole experience warm and comforting.

Over the years, being a musician became a part of me. Whether I was in a band in 4th grade, choir in elementary/middle school or in orchestra all the way through 2017 into my junior year of college. It is a part of my identity and I am proud to have this under my belt. You tend to meet many people along the way of becoming a greater player, some will challenge you, others will support you and the rest will admire your skill.

I have gain some awesome friendships and relationships through my love of music. We have gone on trips together, performed in many concerts and created memories that will last a long time.

I want to thank all the people who have stood by me in my journey as a music player, friends, conductors, teachers, and my family. Without you all, this experience would not have been as amazing. I cannot say what God has in store for me in the future; but if my love and enjoyment for music is with me, then I know that I will be alright.