What My Injury Has Taught Me

What My Injury Has Taught Me

"This too shall pass."

182
What My Injury Has Taught Me
The Bone Doctor

In the beginning of the year, I told myself that I wanted to get out more, and have more adventures. When my friends asked me to go ice skating with them before we went back to college, I figured why not try something new.

I knew I wasn’t going to be good at it. I am klutzy and had never done it before. Well, after about an hour and a half of my friends getting a good laugh from me falling, it all came crashing down (literally)! I fell and I knew I hurt my ankle.

After going to the emergency room and a podiatrist, I found out that I had a fractured ankle and torn ligament, and that I needed surgery. I was scared, but I knew I was going to get through this.

If you are in a similar situation as me or ever find yourself in one, Here are some tips to help you survive the grueling and long process

1. Have patience.

This is going to be a very long and frustrating few months, and you need to have the patience to survive it. I am a VERY impatient person, and it has been tough for me. From not being able to go to the gym, sitting around doing very little all day, to not even being able to change on my own, has been tough for me. But the quicker you heal and follow the doctor’s orders the quicker you will have your life back.

2. Listen to your mother.

Although my mom wanted me to have fun and go out with friends, she knows how I am. She had a bad feeling about me going ice skating, and it turns out her mother’s intuition was right! If your mother thinks it is a bad idea, it probably is...

3. You find out who is really there for you.

I couldn’t do a lot for myself in the first few weeks, and I was so glad I had a strong support system to help me! *Shout out to my mom, you helped me through it all!* My family was there at the drop of a pin if I needed anything, and always sending well wishes and prayers. I cannot thank them enough! To the friends who reached out, thank you! You helped me get to school, listened to me complain about being cooped up, cheered me up, and asked how I was doing! That all means so much! Also, shout out to my professors and bosses for being so understanding and patient during this time!

Let others help you, even if you feel you can do it yourself!

4. Nerves are OK.

Going into my surgery, I was super nervous as I am anytime I go under! But having a great team of nurses and doctors there and my parents, really helped me get over my fear! When I went back to my appointments, and the doctor told me there would be another two weeks in the cast instead of walking, I was totally nervous! It is ok to be nervous. Just know everything will be ok!

5. Motivation

I just got the clearance to start walking after almost 2 months of immobility. Besides going to school, I have been cooped up in my house, not doing much of anything. This injury really has inspired me to get moving! When I'm healed again, I will return to the gym. Being cooped up in the winter has caused me to eat everything in sight, and I need to work it off!

6. Appreciating the little things

You have no idea how hard it is to get changed, take a shower, get in a comfortable sleep position, and just being able to walk and get where you want to go when you have a broken ankle and can’t get up on your own. I have a greater appreciation for these things now, and will not take anything for granted anymore! I have a better understanding of those who can’t do for themselves.

7. Believing in myself

Recovery is a long process and it can be tough! But through it all, I have kept up on my school work, gotten things done that I needed to do, and told myself that if I can get through this I can get through anything!

8. Make the best of every situation

I had some events and parties I had to go to while I was laid up. Lucky for me, we rented a knee scooter, and I didn’t have to get around on crutches. (That would have been a disaster!) Now, I’m that person at a party that will get everyone up dancing and will be the last one on the floor. It’s in my blood… Although I was laid up, I had a positive attitude. I still made sure I looked good despite my big clunky boot and scooter. I scooted around the dance floor and did many dances from my seat, but I still had a great time! Stay positive and it will be a lot easier!

As my favorite dancer, Derek Hough has said, “Life doesn’t happen to you. It happens for you.” I truly believe this injury has led me down this path for a certain reason. It has given me courage, motivation, and understanding!

This journey has been long, but I know it will pass!