What Men Need To Know Before Taking An Estrogen Blocker

Are you a man thinking about using an estrogen blocker as a performance enhancer? Many bodybuilders are indeed taking estrogen blockers. But not every man should line up to block estrogen to get a beach body.

54

Estrogen is not just a female hormone. In men, estrogen plays a role in cardiovascular health, bone density, and estrogen, unlike testosterone, is neuroprotective. Clinical studies show that estrogen has a role in male sexual function; For men having too much or too little estrogen causes problems.

Estrogen blockers can improve overall health, and athletic performance for some men. But estrogen optimization is not a one size fits all. As a biohack to lose weight or "get swole" lowering estrogen may not be you answer. The problem with estrogen blockers is not that they are ineffective, but that they are often misunderstood and misused.

Understanding Estrogen Blockers

Biohackers often get a bad name, sometimes even among other "biohackers" for misunderstanding, and they're for misusing treatments. So before you decide to turn off an essential hormone (or ask your doctor about doing so) let's discuss how estrogen blockers work for men.

First, understand you don't want to change your estrogen levels, if they are currently normal. Second, understand estrogen blockers come in two broad types:

1. Compounds blocking cellular level action of estrogen
  2. Compounds reducing the total amount of estrogen in the body

Neither type of estrogen blocker will help you with your fitness goal if your levels of estrogen are normal. To determine if your estrogen is high, you will need a serum test. But factors that indicate male estrogen is likely to be high include, obesity, steroid use or exposure to other endocrine-disrupting chemicals, family history of breast or ovarian cancer, and specific gene mutation.

If a a blood test shows you have high estrogen, your doctor will be able to explain exactly what options are open to you. These options may include prescription drugs to lower estrogen or hormone replacement therapy.

Diet And Supplements To Lower Estrogen

Don't worry, we are not trying to sell you anything. Just to give the facts based on research.

Diindolylmethane (DIM)

Diindolylmethane aka DIM is a compound in cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, kale, cauliflower, ect. DIM is known to selectively lower estrogen metabolites, lowering only the undesirable estrogen metabolites. This compound also raises free testosterone without changing total testosterone levels.

DIM can be increased by eating vegetables, taken as a supplement, or with various types of ginseng. Peruvian Ginseng also called maca (lepidium meyenii) is very high in DIM.

Mushrooms

Many varieties of mushrooms prevent the release of aromatase. Aromatase help convert androgen hormones (like testosterone) to estrogen. Adding mushrooms to your diet may well lower your estrogen level. Eating Mushrooms also seems to reduce the risk of cognitive decline in seniors.

Grape seed extract and resveratrol

Red grapes skins contain the chemical resveratrol. While red grape seeds contain proanthocyanidin. Both of these compounds are shown to lower estrogen production. Grape seed extract & resveratrol are also powerful antioxidants.

Acacetin

Acacetin is in many plant sources, like the turnera diffusa, the silver birch tree, and the black locust plant. Research shows acacetin possess anti-estrogen and anti-aromatase abilities. It's also able to increase testosterone levels.

Recap

Unless you have high estrogen, a prescription estrogen blocker will hurt you. However, any of the supplement listed here are considered safe, and likely beneficial. No matter what your hormone profile, eating more broccoli is a good thing.

If estrogen blockers won't build muscle why do you so many bodybuilders take them?

Well, the broscience community is not the science community. People take all sorts of supplements and drugs that have no impact at all on health. Just because someone, even someone in amazing shape, takes a drug doesn't make it safe or even effective. Tom Brady is a great football player, but his very strange diet probably isn't the reason.