What Everyone Should Know About Long Distance Best Friends

These miles ain't got nothin' on us!

21

Moving to across the country for college was extremely difficult, especially when it meant leaving my best friends behind. Forget about long distance relationships, long distance friendships are where the fun’s at! Here are a few things that come along with having your best buds located across the globe.

1. Weekly FaceTime sessions are a must

Back at home, I barely ever use FaceTime. Why would I? If I wanted to see my friends, I’d just head over to their house to hangout. Being so many miles away from them, sleepovers and dinner dates sadly just aren’t a thing anymore. And when there’s big news at home that I must know about, texts don’t do the deliverance justice. FaceTime is a must; it’s the closest thing to real-life interaction. Sometimes, I even feel like I’m sitting there at my friends’ houses having a blast, stuffing our faces, doing absolutely nothing but laying there and probably watching Netflix or Snapchats, or both simultaneously (disclaimer: this is quite entertaining).

2. You miss out on birthdays and other fun holidays (yes, my friends’ birthdays are holidays)

FOMO is real, especially when you’re scrolling through Instagram and come across cute photos of your friends at one of their birthday dinners. I wish I could deliver birthday cakes straight to their mailbox (I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a company that actually does that). I often contemplate sending them a cute little edible arrangement, but then I get swerved by my bank account. There’s no better present than a meaningful birthday text or social media post captioned with long, thoughtful birthday wishes.

3. You have a whole life out there that your hometown friends don’t even (or barely even) know about

I’ve made quite a few incredible friends out here on the other side of the country. One of my best friends said to me the other day, “Isn’t it weird that you have people in your life that you really care about and love that I’ve never even met?” Mind. Blown. When I lived in close proximity to my best friends, we all had many mutual pals. They knew the boys I was into, my coworkers, my friends from other schools, and basically anyone I came into regular contact with. Now that we don’t live in the same state, they have no idea who the people are that I refer to as my friends, my boyfriend, my coworkers, and my classmates. Hopefully they meet them soon. For now, they just know them vicariously through my stories.

4. Whenever I visit them or they visit me, it’s a humungous deal

They say distance makes the heart grow fonder. Props to whoever “they” is; I’ve never heard anyone say something more accurate. Being so far away from my best friends for so long has truly put matters into perspective. I don’t take any moment with them for granted. Every second spent with them is a second I cherish, for I know they aren’t a dime a dozen. I have so much anticipation whenever I exit the airport because I know I’m moments away from being reunited with my favorite people. We try to squeeze in as many food trips, parties, mall excursions, coffee dates, and adventures as we can when we’re together.

5. Your friendships are put to the test and you realize how extraordinary it is to have such people in your life

Friendships take a lot of work. They require an abundance of time, effort, and commitment. Matters are even more complicated across the globe. Near, far, wherever they are (pulling a Celine Dion moment), our friendship prevails regardless of the inconvenient circumstances. No matter how busy I am with school, work, or any overbearing aspect of my life, my friends are always there waiting for me at the end of the tunnel; they are my light.

The title "best friend" doesn't diminish easily, not even when there are miles and miles between us, and that's why I love them so dearly.