20 Things I Learned My First Semester Of College

I've learned a lot, and yet there's still so much more to learn...

24
Danielle Glassman

I am not an expert college student, believe me, I'm still finding my way. But I'd like to think I made progress from day 1 of freshman year to now. I learned a lot and I'd like to share it with you. Bare with me if it's too cheesy.

1. You will get sick of the dining hall

Buffet style food all semester long? Sounds amazing. The dining hall is just a few feet away from your dorm building? Sounds even better. But soon you'll realize that the food isn't even worth walking a few feet for. Some days it's good with the occasional tacos or mac and cheese being served. But you will get sick of the food. I did within the first week of school. And soon, you'll be spending a lot of money on food, more than you've ever before because you just can't stand the dining hall. I learned I will probably not be using many meal swipes next semester.

2. You will go broke

You might think "broke college student" is just a stereotypical phrase tossed around for hyperbolic effect. But just you wait until it's actually 100% accurate. In my first semester of college, I spent more money than I can count. Of course with sucky dining hall food and living so close to a city, you're bound to splurge a little more than your wallet and bank account can afford.

3. It's okay to stay in/not always party

There will be another party. There will be another Friday night. Just because all your friends are going out doesn't mean you have to. I learned it's totally fine to stay in and watch a movie. And it's totally fine to spend the night exploring the city rather than going to another frat party.

4. You will be lazy...and it's okay

I thought I'd be that productive college student, always busy, never free, rarely ever watching Netflix. But sleep deprivation or stress will hit you and you will want to nap occasionally. Or you'll want to stay in and watch Netflix. And I learned it's totally normal.

5. Peer pressure exists

I thought peer pressure was just some stupid, easily avoidable thing. But in college, it's everywhere. It's part of the culture, you just gotta learn to live with it.

6. There are so many types of people

There is every type of person in college, and when a school says it's diverse they're not kidding. You can find just about anyone, which makes it a lot easier.

7. You will lose friends

It's not like high school where you can easily see everyone every day. In college, there are thousands of new faces and thousands of old ones. Just because you were friends with someone in the first week, doesn't mean you're meant to stay friends. Just because they were your first friend, doesn't mean you have to hang out with them. I learned it takes some time to find the right people. People you meet will come and go, and you'll learn who you mesh with. It's totally okay to lose friends.

8. It's okay to have alone time

I always thought in college it was totally not normal to spend the night alone in your dorm room. That if you weren't with friends all the time that there was something wrong with you. I learned it's totally fine to spend a night in watching Netflix, enjoying your own company. It's okay to be alone. It's okay to not always have people around you. You can always find the perfect balance.

9. You will miss home

I didn't think I would so much, but I do. For the beginning weeks of college, I sort of forgot about home and the people there because I got so caught up in the college lifestyle. But I realized throughout the semester that staying in touch with people is a lot better. It's nice to look forward to seeing familiar faces and places. I could always count on home for a good bagel, good times, and good friends.

10. You have to make an effort

You can't simply stop talking to people. Making friends in college requires effort on your part too. If you're going to assume people will always ask you to hang out, you're wrong. Don't assume that just because they don't text you, they don't want to see you or they're busy. It takes a simple text: hey let's get lunch, or hey let's go to the pool today. If you put in the effort, you'll feel a whole lot better.

11. I still don't know the future

I learned the first semester that there are people just like me who don't know what they want to do for the rest of their life. I learned it's totally okay to not have a plan. And for people that do, props to them. But I'm just going to find out what I like because college will allow me to do that. There's no need to plan out your whole life.

12. It's not what you're doing

It's who you're doing it with.

I learned a lot about who I want to spend time with because of college. I learned that you could do really adventurous things with someone but still have a mediocre time. It's all about who you're doing stuff with. Having fun just eating out or shopping with good company is a lot better than splurging on cool experiences with the wrong people.

13. You will make mistakes

College is the best time if there is a "best time" to mess up. It's okay if you make mistakes, just as long as you learn from them. And just because you're a college student, doesn't mean you're an adult. Just because you're a legal adult doesn't mean you act like one. I learned I am still immature, and I will make mistakes- and it's totally okay.

14. No one cares as much as you

No one cares if you woke up with a messy head of hair or rolled out of bed and walked straight to class. No one cares if you're still wearing your pajamas. In college, no one cares as much as you think. Everyone's in their own little world. You don't need to dress nice, look nice, or act like you have a perfect life. Do what you want, no one will judge you as much as you do.

15. It's not that easy to get an A

In high school maybe you could've glanced at the textbook and breezed by. But in college, if you don't pay attention in class or read the textbook, you won't get an A. College is all about effort. It doesn't matter if you didn't need to work hard in high school. If you don't work hard in college, you probably won't get the grade you hoped for.

16. Lots of change will occur

One week you're comfortable with your life, and then the next week you aren't. People will leave, your mood will change, you might have some issues, but it will all be worth it. You might hate where you are one day, but you'll know you can keep going. Just don't sweat the small stuff, because constant change is completely normal and healthy.

17. Manage your time

I learned that staying up late to finish a paper or study is not worth it. It's best to plan everything out, do work in the day and be able to chill at night.

18. You have to motivate yourself

I didn't have my mom nagging me to clean my room first semester. So I had to learn to motivate myself to. It's easy once you realize if you don't, no one will.

19. It's okay to do things alone

I've gone on many CVS runs alone during my first semester. I've gotten meals alone, walked to class alone, spent some nights alone. It is totally okay to be seen alone, it's just a part of growing up independently. You don't need to always have someone with you to do simple tasks that can easily be done alone.

20. You'll feel at home

The first few weeks, I could barely find my way around. Now I know U Miami's campus like the back of my hand. I can navigate all the Uber drivers and know what street I'm on (most) of the time. I didn't think I'd actually find another home apart from my house in New York. But first semester I learned I can call college home.