Life Lessons I've Learned This Summer

8 Lessons I've Learned So Far From My "Endless" Summer

Here we go again with one of my ~transformative awakenings.~

470
Lauryn Smith

Hey, it's me. It's been a little while since I've done one of these transformative life updates but after a great deal of growth this summer I feel in a great position to do it. The first summer after college could be filled with boredom, partying nonstop, sleeping the day away, and simply waiting for August to come around and to go back to school. A part of me has felt like I've been home FOREVER and I am dying to go back to school. While my summer has been filled with plenty of that, I've still spent a lot of my summer working on me. I am the kind of person that wants to learn and grow every single day, and this summer is no exception. Though I still have a little over a month to go until I am headed back down to the cornfields, I am still looking forward to enjoying every last moment here at home. Here are some things that I have learned in what feels like a never-ending summer...

1. Taking a break feels nice.

After an entire school year filled with non stop schoolwork, parties, commitments with my sorority and extracurriculars, and adventures with friends, this summer I have definitely had my fair share of time to relax. For a person who thrives off of being productive, it has definitely been challenging to just let go and enjoy time on the couch and catch up on T.V.. However, there is a part of me that has surely enjoyed it. I am not one who loves to be alone often, but this summer I feel as though I have learned perhaps a lot more about independence than I did this entire school year.

2. I am WAY too judgmental.

Oops. This summer I have learned more than ever that I tend to see the bad in people before the good. I'm constantly waiting for people to screw up and make a mistake, molding them into the person that I think they are without trying to understand their story. I would typically characterize myself as a growth-mindsetted person especially when it comes to situations requiring hardwork, but when it comes to certain people that I have preconceived notions of, I am not as forgiving. I know that is not a trait to be proud of and I will definitely try to work on it, but the people I am close to know that this is something that I am surely guilty of.

3. Finding a balance between home friends and school friends is a lot more difficult than I thought.

Going to an in-state college is quite a blessing because that means not only are you with your high school friends, but you are only a short drive away from your college friends too! However, I am learning that seeing my college friends is a lot harder than I thought. Now that we're home, we all have different schedules and are no longer not a short walk down the stairs or the hall to see one another. Yes, I have seen them a few times, but sadly not as much as I'd like to. I'm trying to remember that I have all year with them and that my home friends and I are going to be saying goodbye to one another very soon, but that doesn't exclude the fact that I still want to see everyone I care about as much as possible. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done and my tired body from being a camp counselor all day is not as cooperative as I'd like her to be.

4. I'm not the kind of person that can simply do nothing.

As I mentioned earlier, I am the kind of person that would much rather have a jam-packed schedule than sit on the couch all day and do nothing (everything in moderation, of course). And that light was shed onto this issue quite quickly as my first day spent here after coming home from school was spent in nearly a panic attack because I was so dang bored and had nothing to do. Luckily, my mom was gearing up for camp and needed all the help she could get. So rather than sitting on the couch for the next month waiting for staff orientation, I spent most days helping around the office and getting camp ready. And unlike most lazy college students, I enjoyed every second of it.

5. Having fun isn't all about alcohol and drugs.

When you're away at college, the number one highlight of the week is going out, and for good reason. There is nothing more fun than pregaming to Hannah Montana, fraternizing with random Uber drivers on the way to the frat house/bar, and dancing the night away with the people you love most--not to mention all the hard-hitting drinks and late night eats that come with the adventure. However, I've spent a lot of this summer just chilling with friends and doing activities that didn't require being intoxicated. In college I realized I kind of lost sight of those fun nights and that it's always good to have things in moderation. I am looking forward to going back to school and balancing my nights with wild adventures out with friends and chill, ~sober~ time in, having just as much fun with them.

6. It's never too late to take control of your habits and change them.

This summer has been a lot of bettering myself in ways that I have thought unimaginable. Something that I have worked to take control of this summer is my eating habits. Though I was thankful not to gain the #Freshman15 in college, I was fully aware that I had room to grow in body confidence and creating healthier habits. After a couple of years of half-assing the program over my mom and grandma's shoulders, I finally joined Weight Watchers and have successfully lost 7.8 pounds since I've been home from school. Truthfully, I haven't made any drastic changes to my diet and exercise routine, I am just learning a little bit more about portion control and mindful eating that I wouldn't have necessarily been conscious about without it. I'm fortunate that I have never struggled with serious weight issues, but being more knowledgeable about these things are going to put me on a trajectory for success later in my lifetime. I am looking forward (but also nervous) to go back to school and continue to implement these healthy habits.

P.S. I also just recently started a WW instagram to make myself even more accountable and share my knowledge with everyone!! Follow me @laurynslifestyle and it would mean the world to me!

7. If you want to go and make things happen, you have to make it happen for yourself.

A harsh truth I have learned time and time again is that you are your own hero. Besides family, there is pretty much no one else who is going to be there for you. If you want that new dress, or that job, to hang out with a certain friend, or that boy, you have to make it happen on your own. No one is going to assume what you want, so it's up to you to make it a reality.

8. Never give up on what you love and who you love.

When I returned home from school, I was desperate to find something to do, but also in a way that would help me earn a few quick bucks. Besides working at camp during the weekdays, I also got the opportunity to start back up my high school business (@LaurynTaylorDesigns), and get a few orders in. Being back on LTD has been a great way to make some extra money but also was a great way for me to relieve stress while doing something I love at the same time. However, this summer I have also had the opportunity to rekindle relationships with those that I've either lost touch with while away at school, or just got to spend a little more time with those who mean the most to me. It's ironic that the time and distance apart from these people have helped me realize even more so how much I want them to be apart of my life, and I hope that this year I will make a greater effort to have them remain a prominent part of my life while we are away at school. I am a firm believer that if you love someone you have to let them know as you never know when the opportunity will no longer be there. By now, I hope these people know how much they mean to me and that I am so grateful for how much they do for me and will continue to do.

This summer has had quite the balance of fun and boredom, and I am very much looking forward to go back to school in August and taking with me some of these lessons that I've learned. However, I am destined to soak in every moment while here at home and be the person that I want to be. I'm grateful for the things I have learned, but I'm sure that there will be 1,000 more things for me to learn by the time the summer ends. Thanks for tuning into this novel. Until next life update...