From The Girl Who Is Way Too Attached To Her Phone

**Buzz buzz** **Buzz buzz**

32

Buzz, buzz. Buzz, buzz.

My face instantly turns toward my hand that is tightly grasping my iPhone. I keep feeling the inescapable noise of the vibrations against my fingers, letting me know that I have gotten a text message, a phone call, or Snapchat. As my eyes gaze over to see who it is that's reaching out to me, I can't help but think to myself, what would it be like if I wasn't so attached to this little device?

Buzz, buzz. Buzz, buzz.

The sound of the vibrations is felt against my fingers. Finally picking my head up from my phone over and over and over again, I look at the faces of my loved ones, friends and family alike, that all roll their eyes at the fact that I cannot "pull my head out of my phone" and give them the time of day that they so deserve. As my fingers continue to type and I angle the camera to ensure that I get the selfie that I so desire to get for Snapchat, a slew of notifications continues to pop up. Nope, my face is not leaving that little screen anytime soon.

Buzz, buzz. Buzz, buzz.

You know, I didn't realize what my mom had meant when she said that technology has really changed the way that kids develop and mature over the years. Now, being a young adult who is most definitely way too attached to a small, insignificant device and watches children so much younger develop these terrible habits that I have gotten into, I realize that this is most definitely a problem that I have to fix.

Buzz, buzz. Buzz, buzz.

What it really means to be attached to your phone is not being physically and emotionally present for the events and people that are right in front of you. What it really means to be attached to your phone is to instantly turn your head towards your hand to see who is getting in contact with you anytime the ringer or vibration goes off. What it really means to be attached to your phone is, even when your surrounded by everyone that matters, your mind is drawn toward the thought of how should I respond to this Snapchat? or why is this person texting me right now? What it really means to be attached to your phone is, when you go hours without answering and you finally look at your phone, you see the text messages of people who text or call you asking, "why weren't you on your phone for so long?" or "I am so shocked! You were FINALLY able to put your phone down!" What it really means to be attached to your phone is having an addiction that is so inescapable and so present for not just yourself, but for so many other teenagers and kids out there, that all you want to do now is change this filthy habit that you have so firmly established.

Buzz, buzz. Buzz, buzz.

I feel the vibrations of a text message coming through. It's a reminder to put my phone down and enjoy the time that I have with those who I love and care about so much. It's a reminder to be in the moment. I look back up, putting my phone in my back pocket, and continue on with my daily activities.