A Day In The Life Of Being A Woman

A Day In The Life Of Being A Woman

Step into the shoes of your mother, daughter, sister, coworker... Only then can you even begin to understand.

262
A Day In The Life Of Being A Woman
Unsplash

It seems that now, more than ever before in history, women are taking a stance and standing up for their rights. Between the growing women's marches that are taking place nationwide, to movements such as #MeToo, to finding the courage to speak out against sexual assault (something that had been kept quiet for so long), no longer are women staying silent.

The fact that dozens of well-known Hollywood figures have been recently called out for sexual assault/harassment makes me absolutely sick. I am downright disgusted that these men, who've been praised and admired as important icons and household names for years, have committed such heinous acts and are only now getting the public shaming they deserve.

Let's see how they like being humiliated and exposed, just as they made their victims feel time and time again.

What's even more sickening is just how many women have been victims of assault/harassment and how many more have yet to speak out.

Women have remained quiet for so long because it has taken this long to be believed, heard, and given a platform to speak out on.

This problem is only made worse by the general public's responses: "It can't be as common as the media makes it." "She must be wanting attention or fame." "What was she wearing?" "She asked for it, just look at her appearance." "Women should know how to protect themselves." "Women should never go anywhere alone." "She wore too much makeup" "A slut deserves to be treated as such." "Men can't help themselves"

Here's what I have to say to these ignorant, unintelligent responses:

You will never understand assault/harassment unless you are a victim. You will never understand the daily struggles women face unless you are a woman. For once, keep your mouth shut and step into the shoes of your mother, daughter, sister, coworker, etc. Only then can you even begin to understand.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to go ahead and give you an hour-by-hour example of a typical day in the life of a young woman in 2018; all her emotions, all her fears, all her thoughts, all her interactions.

(Sidenote: this isn't going to be about me or anyone I know specifically, but rather a pieced together timeline of what the typical 20-something-year-old woman experiences daily):

7 a.m. The alarm goes off

Ugh, I'm sooo tired I just want to sleep, but I need to get up now to get ready for work/class. If I shower now I'll have enough time to style my hair-curls or straightened? I'll decide later. Oh geez-another pimple? My pores are disgusting-I look like trash without makeup. Ok, shower, hair, makeup, breakfast.

8 a.m. Styling hair and doing makeup

Why am I even doing this? Who am I getting all dolled up for? Just so the man at the bus stop can oggle at me for the 1000th time this month or so my supervisor/classmate can glance from my lips to my chest while discussing my progress on the large filing/part of my group project I've been working on all week? My eyes are up here, you dog.

OK, which lipstick shade matches my outfit... perfect! Ugh, I just can't cover these blemishes, damn it I hate my face!

9 a.m. Walking to the bus/train/car

OK, there are people out, I'm not alone so no one can just run up behind me and attack. It's these heels-they slow me down and basically announce to the world that I'm a woman. Oh, no...there's that creepy man who can't just leave me alone.

Brace yourself, here comes another unwanted, cringe-worthy comment I'm supposed to take as a compliment and smile about. Yep, just smile through the anger. Oh, thank goodness my ride is here.

10 a.m. Arrives at job/class

Can this guy let me get a word in edgewise?? Like seriously can you stop interrupting me? I know just as much about this topic as you... Ugh, why did I choose a major in such a male-dominated field?

No one's going listen to me in here! But I have just as much right to be here as they do, and will fight for the rest of my life if that's what it takes to get my dream job. You won't be interrupting me when I'm your supervisor one day, dude.

11 a.m. Works on assignment to favorite Spotify playlist

Finally some time to myself. This isn't so bad. No one around to bother me so now I can finally focus.

12-2 p.m. In line at the cafeteria

Why didn't I get here earlier? Ew there's that creepy guy that always obviously checks me out...ok just play on your phone maybe he'll leave you alone...shit he saw me and is walking towards me...just be nice. Oh good, there's my friend coming to save me from this award situation.

(Waits in line to pay, realizes she doesn't have enough money. Guy ahead of her offers to pay.) Wow that was so nice of that man to do, "thank you so much!" (As she walks away the guy approaches her asking for her number as a thank you for paying for her food)

Crap this is so awkward... why can't this guy just get the hint that I'm not interested. "Um, no thanks I'm seeing someone!" That line usually works...ok good he walked away. I feel bad, but at the same time, I don't owe a guy anything. If I'm not interested I'm not interested...Oh, good, found my friends they got a table.

3-5 p.m. On the way home from work/class

OK, looks like the quickest way to the bus/train is down this street. Looks pretty deserted...definitely risky and I can't run in these heels. Turning on my walk-with-me app. (Guy catcalls her from across the street) Ugh moron, talk all you want it won't phase me.

6 p.m. Makes dinner

OK, let's see what the girls want to do tonight. Looks like we're hitting the bars and the club, sounds good to me! Do I want to wear something tight and sexy or just cute and comfortable... basically, do I want attention tonight or to just have fun with my friends? Ugh, why can't I just wear whatever I want and not have to worry about a guy making unwanted advances at me.

7 p.m. With friends getting ready

8-9 p.m. Leaving

We don't want to get too drunk before going out, as that will make us vulnerable and put in possible danger. I'm going to remind them all for the hundredth time that we are not to go anywhere without at least one other friend. Saw on the news a horrible story about a young woman who got drugged at the bar and later assaulted on her way home. Was no one there to help her?? Where are the decent people who don't view women as prey?

I'm so tired of this. I just want a fun night with no problems and not have to keep checking to make sure none of us are being followed anywhere or roofied. I don't care. If I see a guy even try to bother one of my friends I won't hesitate to shove him away.

10 p.m. Dancing with friends

So far so good! Oh shit, that guy keeps eying me... I am totally not interested. (Feels hands grab her behind) "Uh, excuse me? Please leave and don't you dare touch me!"

Oh my god these guys are animals. I should literally have eyes in the back of my head to look out for drunk gross men who think my body is a toy... just let my friends and I dance in peace, please. It's bad enough I had to buy a whole new drink because God forbid I left my first one unattended for two minutes to use the bathroom and someone could have roofied me.

(Guy comes up behind her and starts smelling her hair and stroking it). "What the-? Get the hell away from me!" (Guy claims she has beautiful hair, too pretty not to touch and that she's overreacting) "My hair is like any other part of my body and is not an invitation to touch me!" I'm honestly ready to go home. This unwanted attention is killing the mood.

11 p.m. Taxi drops everyone off one by one

"Thank you for the ride, goodnight." Shit. I should have told one of my friends to come home with me so I didn't have to walk alone. Oh God, I hear someone walking behind me... (turns around slightly) that guy looks sketchy. OK, I have done this before...just cross the street and look for the nearest store to go into. I suddenly feel so vulnerable in these clothes. I should have gone for cute and comfy, what was I thinking?

I feel he's getting closer... my hairs are literally standing straight up on the back of my neck this is so scary. I can't call anyone, a woman on her phone is an easier target. Just concentrate on getting home. My mace is in my purse and I could use my house keys as a weapon if need be. Son of a-he's seriously two feet behind me and I can't cross the street again or that'll signal that I am aware of him. My apartment is the next block, but wait, I can't go inside or he'll know where I live and may try to assault me. Did he just say something to me? I am not responding.

Oh God, please go away I can't become another statistic-another poor unsuspecting woman who is raped walking home in revealing clothing. No no no please just leave me alone. (Man says something really derogatory about her ignoring his advances and finally leaves her alone). Wow so I'm a %&$* for just wanting to get home safe??

Whatever, thankfully he's gone and I'm finally at my door. I think tomorrow night I'll just order take-out and watch movies with my roommate from the safety of our living room.

What I just described is a very common day for many women. We literally have to always be alert wherever we are and expect danger at every corner. We don't have the privilege men have of being able to go out without being harassed or walk down the street in summer clothes without our bodies serving as eye candy to the men driving by.

We are told that we have to stop dressing a certain way and to look out for ourselves, but no one is telling men not to assault. Maybe if we stopped being so apologetic and started actually taking charge of this situation there would be far fewer sexual assault incidents.

A woman's body serves an actual purpose and doesn't only exist as an object of sexuality to men. We are people with dreams and ambitions. We should be able to wear whatever we want, go wherever we want, and look however we want without the nagging fear of being assaulted.

Men can control themselves. It's not as hard as these sexist apologetics are making it out to be. And thank goodness for the good men in this world who protect and look out for women. I'm personally so grateful to know so many good men like this. It shouldn't have to be like that though. A woman's "no" should be just as powerful as a man's "no."

Funny how when a man tells another man to leave a woman alone he backs off with no question, but if a woman says to go away a man will do all he can to convince her otherwise.

If I want anything to taken away from this article, it's this:

Women are human beings who deserve to be treated with respect and decency.

A woman will not respond to unwanted advances.

Those who say that men "can't help themselves" and "women should be glad to get attention" are ignorant fools.

Women should look out for each other even if they don't know each other.

Sexual assault/harassment is a social epidemic-one that isn't receiving the proper attention it should be, and one that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. It is not a joke. It is not a woman's job to remind men not to bother them. It is never the victim's fault.

I shouldn't even have to be writing this article. People should know right behavior from wrong. No means no. Not maybe, not yes. No more should women have to apologize for being made uncomfortable.

We are not sorry for our bodies, our sexuality, our confidence. We are sorry that we're not sorry.