What It's Like To Date Your Best Friend

What It's Like To Date Your Best Friend

"It started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this?"
64

Dating can be a very complicated thing.

It's a common saying that guys and girls can't be "just friends." I personally like to disagree, but I am in a situation where my best friend for many months turned into something more.

People would often joke about how perfect we would be together and that we already acted like an old married couple. He and I would always look at each other and shake our heads, laughing in disbelief.

To be completely honest, I had had a crush on him for a long time, but just buried it because our friendship was so special to me.

Then, one night, everything changed. Feelings were admitted, and we haven't looked back since.

It's been absolutely wonderful falling in love with my best friend. He and I already knew each other's quirks and interests, so it seemed like we skipped right over the awkward stage.

So, what is it really like?

You have the most fun doing the simplest things,

Whether it's grocery shopping or cleaning the house. It could be the dance party they turn it into or a race to see who can finish their list first, these will be moments you will always cherish.

You have a strong foundation of friendship.

You'll feel comfortable talking about anything with them.

You have this undeniable bond.

Maybe it's something that everyone saw all along, maybe it's just fate bringing you two together. All you know is that you wouldn't want to have it with anyone else.

You're comfortable with them.

Hey, it's not like they've never seen you in your pajamas in desperate need of a shower.

You're confident in your relationship.

You both thought through it all when considering actually declaring yourselves a couple. Would you still be friends if anything happened? What if it just didn't work out? You put a lot on the line but you know that they're worth it in the end.

They know your past.

All of your old significant other's, those embarrassing things you did that you would usually hope never came uncovered at family parties, they've been there. They love you even more for it.

They've seen you at your lowest.

And they're still with you! You know you can trust in them and lean on them when you're feeling down.

Sometimes, taking the plunge may seem scary. If you had told me two years ago that I would be dating my best friend, I would have laughed in disbelief. But, life is funny sometimes; and I think we're doing just fine.