How It Really Feels To Leave Your Friends

It hurts just as much as you think it does

237
Joy Swasy

There is always that one person that goes to college out-of-state or very far away from home. Sometimes that person turns out to be you. You have worried about leaving your friends ever since you decided to go to the college you're attending, but it didn't quite feel real until you've been away from them for months. You have made tons of amazing friends at college, but they aren't quite the same as the ones from back home.

The initial goodbye isn't so bad because you try to be happy about the fact that you are moving on to bigger and better things. You have so many things ahead of you. The first few weeks aren't so bad either because there are plenty of other people that are missing their friends just as much. This support helps a lot in the long run. The main thing you need to get through the loss of friends is support and there is tons around you at college.

So, you have a lot of support, but it's starting not to help as much because you really miss having your friends from home. It's farther into the semester, work is piling up, and all you want to do is ride in a car with your best friends singing music. You really feel like you didn't cherish those moments enough. You didn't cherish the last time you got to do these things because you didn't really realize it was going to be the last time for awhile. When you were younger you always imagined going to college with your life-long friends, but it just didn't turn out that way. You may start to regret the choice of going out-of-state, but you know this is what was best for you.

In high school, there were plenty of moments you had with your friends where you thought, "Wow I can't wait to get out of here and away from them", but you know deep down you didn't mean that at all. You regret now more than ever any sort of small fights or disagreements you had with your friends. You wish you would have only given them happy moments and you wish you would have cherished the happy moments you did have.

You really regret not hanging out with them all the times you could have. You regret not helping them with small things they really didn't need help with. You regret a lot of things, but what you need to do is make sure you stay in contact with them. Make sure you call or text them every once and awhile. Even if they don't do it first, it doesn't matter, you should just do it. You can talk about all the fun things you did and all the memories you created and just laugh together again. I know it's not the same, but a friendship is a friendship whether that friend is 5 minutes away or 500 miles away.