I had known for a while that I wanted a tattoo. Tattoos are something that I have admired for as long as I can remember. They tell a person's story in a beautifully artistic way. The first tattoo I ever truly decided on was a tattoo for my great grandma, which I still plan on getting, but I had an agreement with my mom to get a smaller one first, as the tattoo for my great grandma will take up a large portion of my arm. The design is pictured below.

The tattoo in memory of my great grandma

For my first tattoo, I got a small paw print that is about one inch in length. I have had a few pets throughout my life, and they have meant a lot to me, so I got a tattoo in honor of them. I was really excited about getting my tattoo, but I felt a little bit nervous the night before, so I googled how much it would hurt in the area I got it. As it turned out, the area that I was going to get a tattoo is one of the most painful areas to get a tattoo.

I don't recommend looking up the pain scale the night before, do it ahead of time. When I got to the tattoo place, called "Tatted Up Ypsi", I was definitely nervous. I took a glance at the walls, and they were covered in beautiful artwork. I confirmed my design with the artist and gave him my I.D. As the artist prepared the station,

I glanced at my mom. She looked even more nervous than I was. As the artist put the needle to my skin, I gasped, but not entirely from pain. It was a strange thing that I can't quite describe. It felt like my bone was vibrating. The part that hurt the most was when the tattoo gun went over the tendons in my arm. For a reference, the pain was just less than that of someone massaging a deep knot out of your back. Just as the artist finished the outline, my sight started to go black.

According to my mom, I went pale (well, paler than I already am), my eyes rolled to the back of my head, and I started sweating waterfalls. The artist stopped what he was doing and rushed over to put his hand on my shoulder to keep me from falling out of the chair. I felt like I was going to throw up, so my mom switched places with the artist and grabbed me a trash bag. As soon as I felt the trash bag around my face, I lost my dinner.

After I had recovered, the artist handed me a sucker. He explained that what happened to me is something that sometimes happened to people when the adrenaline hits. I asked if we could just stick with the outline, but he said he had already made it so that it would be filled in. He finished the tattoo without a hitch. The artist was very kind and understanding of what I went through during that tattoo. The tattoo hurt the most after it was completed.

The skin was so sensitive that someone just breathing on it hurt like crazy. It took about two weeks to stop hurting. You have to make sure to take good care of it by gently washing it with mild soap and water, as well as carefully massaging it with unscented lotion a few times a day.