What It Means To Be An Open-Minded Republican

"The concept of a political affiliation was created for the people, not conformity."

310
Amethyst

Many people seek an education but not all are educable. Aristotle once said, "it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." In other words, intelligence is the gift of listening impartially before regarding the information provided and making up one's mind based on combined reasoning. Intelligence is the ability to carefully listen to another's opinion and consider all sides of the argument rather than succumbing to the knee-jerk reaction to disagree according to pre-conceived notions.

In relation to politics, both parties are guilty of this with few adopting an open-mind or "educable" mentality. Naturally, this method may be more difficult for those who have experienced few encounters with people of the opposing party. For instance, having been enrolled in private Christian schools, I was primarily surrounded by Republicans throughout the majority of my upbringing. It was not until I was accepted to a secular university that I was exposed to an eye-opening predominantly Democratic education system. However, I managed to engage in some of the most profound, in-depth discussions with my professors and colleagues that I continue to reflect fondly on today as they continue to shape much of my political perspectives.

In college, I had the privilege of taking part in numerous scholarly debates among my peers as well as some of my professors. More often than not, no one's opinion would change on the subject at hand, however, I was surprised by the occasional persuasion through the reasoning of my educators. I found my opinions were swayed on certain issues I had held firmly to for years ever since I was old enough to comprehend their significance. For example, I no longer stand firmly against issues of abortion and family planning as I once had and I am now not only accepting but supportive of gay marriage and the transexual lifestyle.

Contrary to popular belief, attending a secular college and acquiring a higher education did not affect my faith. I still hold true to the religious morals with which I was raised. However, this experience allowed me to look at the bigger picture hands-on. I met and spoke to transexual students frequently, I knew people with the courage to confess to having an abortion, and I witnessed the hate and judgement the LGBTQ community went through.

I do not glorify these issues because I am in no position to do so. I am not homosexual, I have no desire to undergo a sexual reconstructive surgery, and I have never had an abortion nor could I ever see myself having one no matter the circumstance. However, I realize that just because these issues do not specifically apply to me, does not mean that I am given the right to judge others for their lifestyles. I am accepting of those who fall under these categories without necessarily calling myself an advocate. Although, it is their rights that I soundly support: the right to love who they love, the right to be who they wish to be, and the right to pave their own futures that lay ahead of them as a result of the personal choices they make with their own bodies.

Many individuals like myself are falsely perceived as hypocritical for holding the notions of other parties while still claiming loyalty to our own. I may identify myself as a Republican, but it is essential to understand that I use this term, like so many others, as delicately as possible. The majority of my personal ethics line most closely to those of the right wing; for example, the support of legal immigration, the right to bear arms, capital punishment, and a government for the people by the people. It is not a crime to reconsider the beliefs of a party and determine where one stands even if they may lean in the opposite direction on certain issues. The concept of a political affiliation was created for the people, not conformity. We must utilize these parties as they were initially intended—a way to identify ourselves without allowing them to define our beliefs.