What is the best pillow and how to choose it?

The best way to face the day is to have a good rest. There is no good health without a restful night and, for this, it is key to create the best conditions to sleep.

19

Choose a good mattress in the first place, and then find out what is the best pillow for your spine, your neck and for your sleeping habits. Surprise yourself with the enormous variety of options that exist today in the market and find the ideal one for you.

The first thing you need to know is that the type of pillow that works well for everyone is something very personal. Some prefer harder alternatives and others super soft, and there are those who like high and who seek the finest market. There are also therapeutic options, manufactured to help in lumbar or cervical problems, and options for different times of the day (to read or watch television, for example) or for a particular stage, such as pregnancy.

What is the best pillow?

One of the most common questions that grammatologists receive is whether the neck or back pain may be due to an inadequate pillow. And the answer, in general, is that "yes, it can be": we spent an average of 8 hours resting on it and it must be a great ally of restful sleep. It can prevent or relieve some neck and back pain and it is worth investing in it.

How to choose a pillow

When you start to find out which one is the best we will discover that there are different models and designs to choose from. The first thing we should know is that the objective of this popular object is to keep the spine straight, filling in the curvature of the neck and allowing, in this way, its relaxation. The fundamental thing when choosing a pillow for sleep position is that it makes you feel comfortable. No matter what advice you get: the ideal is the one that is comfortable for you.

Some advice:

• First of all, the mold should keep the spine in a natural alignment, as when we are standing.
  • The stool should adjust to several sleeping positions and should continue to relieve pressure points beyond how you lie. In that, the texture is key.
  • If the height is too high, when you sleep on your side or face down you will increase the muscle tension in the back area of the neck and shoulders. In addition, it can obstruct breathing, causing snoring.
  • If it is very low, muscle tensions may appear in the neck.
  • Based on the measurements of our body, it should maintain a height of 10 to 15 cm, so that it adequately supports the head and neck.

The ideal choice according to how you sleep

Another fact that must be taken into account when buying is the position in which you sleep:

Face up:should be of intermediate thickness and firmness, allowing the natural curve of the neck. This means that if someone looked at us from the side of the bed, our head should follow the horizontal with the mattress. If it were too high or too low we will get up with pain and neck stiffness.

On the side: you must allow the head to be aligned with the rest of the back. If they look at us from the side, the two ears should be at the same distance from the shoulders. For this, it must be thick and firm so that the head is not tilted.

Face down: it is not a recommended position, and if you can avoid it would be better for your back, but we'll talk about that. However, if it is the only way in which you can get to sleep a soft and narrow will be the most appropriate to allow the head to turn in a natural way.

All the postures: if you are one of those who move a lot, the right thing will be one of medium firmness to be able to adapt it to the different positions that you adopt.

How to take care of it

Hygiene is fundamental in health care since it is the place where we breathe many hours. To last and stay healthy, I followed these tips:

• It is advisable to choose a breathable cover.
  • If you are allergic, change the cover at least once a week.
  • Over time they may lose firmness, so it is recommended to change them every 5 years or so.
  • If you sleep as a couple, we recommend that each one have his own, appropriate to his personal needs.