Over the last few months, you may have seen the word "simp" tossed around the Internet. Or, perhaps you've even been called a simp yourself. No matter which it is, if you're wondering what in the world it really means, I'm breaking it down for you.
Oh, and if you think you know what you're saying when you throw the word around to your friends and strangers alike, you should still read this. Because you might actually learn a thing or two that you didn't know before and finally realize why the trend needs to die ASAP.
What is a simp?
According to Urban Dictionary, simp stands for "suckas idolizing mediocre p*ssy." Let that really sink in for a second.
The definition goes on to say that a simp is "Some male who will do anything for a little bit of play from a female. He usually chasing around a female who not [sic] even worth the work or time."
Other Urban Dictionary definitions describe it as the following:
- "A man that puts himself in a subservient/submissive position under women in the hopes of winning them over, without the female bringing anything to the table."
- "A man that puts too much value on a female for no reason."
- "A square with no game other than 'rolling out the red carpet' for every female."
- "Someone who will say anything to please someone, particularly a girl, in the hopes that they will be in good favor with that person."
The optimist in me wants to believe that most of the people using the word all over the internet don't actually know what it stands for or what it actually means and are just jumping on a stupid bandwagon. But even if it didn't stand for "suckas idolizing mediocre p*ssy," calling a man any name for being nice to women without expecting anything in return is truly mindblowing. What year do we live in... ? How is this a bad thing?
So... What is simping?
While Urban Dictionary gives definitions of the word "simp" that go back to 2012, possibly earlier, it recently became popular no thanks to TikTok sparking up a "Simp Nation" trend.
The video above highlights some of the things that qualify as "simping." While some have seriously misogynistic undertones by suggesting you're part of "Simp Nation"...
- "If you ever laughed at a girl's joke."
- "When your wife takes half of your salary for 'child support.'"
- "If you've ever told a girl she looks better without makeup on."
- "If she's ever said 'you're like a brother to me.'"
- "If you ever left the boys to hangout with a girl ur not dating."
- "When you ever did a girl's homework because she 'didn't have time' to do it."
- "If you've ever sent fake 'streaks' so she replies to the four other snaps you sent her."
- "If you've ever tied a girl's shoes for her."
Why this trend needs to go
Women aren't sex objects. Besides, it's 2020: Men and women can be friends — real friends.
If I had a guess, many of the men who are calling other simps were once, themselves, simps, by their own definition. Instead of modifying their behavior or actually telling the women they were crushing on that they like them, they instead became fuccbois. They felt as if they were being used or taken advantage of by women, so they're now lashing out by starting this sexist crusade. I'd be lying if I said I didn't pity them. They're insecure and hurt.
Besides, if they weren't getting laid before this, god knows they aren't getting laid after spewing their simping nonsense.