What Is Sex Trafficking And Why Does It Matter?

Why are these men putting a price tag on a beautiful, astounding, immeasurable, unequivocally priceless human being?

237
Wordpress

Recently, I went to the movies to see the film, Priceless. In case you haven't seen the preview or heard any of the recent buzz, I will give you a quick synopsis. Priceless is a "fictional" movie that is based on real stories of sex trafficking or labor trafficking survivors in and around the United States. In short, this movie focuses on two Mexican immigrant victims who were smuggled into the United States and forced into prostitution to pay off a family debt.

A lot of people watch movies like Priceless, and sit back in apathy, making the inaccurate assumption that trafficking only happens in movies or in third world countries. But I will be the first person to say with absolute certainty that your assumptions are completely false. Human trafficking, and especially sex trafficking are actively happening every single day in the United States, and believe it or not, it is happening to our own citizens, as well, not just undocumented immigrants.

Human trafficking is defined as the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain labor or some type of commercial sex act. For most people, that definition might sound fairly mild, but would you describe modern day slavery as mild? Strangely enough, many people would even call this a "victim-less crime". But that could not be further from the truth. An industry that primarily preys on children or otherwise vulnerable individuals, and entraps millions of them to slavery every year is not a victim-less crime. It is estimated that there are about 28-30 million human trafficking victims worldwide, and approximately up to 500,000 of those are U.S. citizens being trafficked WITHIN the borders of the United States. This isn't a sad story being spun off from the Taken movie, it's a real problem within ourborders affecting our women and our girls. Now, why isn't this a talking point at any of these so-called "important" debates between Clinton and Trump? Why aren't we creating catchy hashtags for these beautiful and priceless women? Why don't we want to bring home these girls? I wonder.

As if the numbers above weren't startling enough, among the 28-30 million trafficking victims worldwide, 50 percent of those are reportedly children. In fact, the average age of entry into the commercial sex industry is 12 years old. And these vulnerable and exploitable women and children are known to serve between four and six men daily, at minimum.

You might be wondering how and why this became such a prevalent problem, and why people are continuing to support such a sick industry. Unfortunately, we have to turn to our men to find the answer to this question.

Journalist, Victor Malarek says this, "It would not be profitable for pimps and criminals to stay in this business if platoons of men weren't prowling side streets in search of purchased sex - male buyers who are willing to close their eyes and shell out $50 or $100 for a few minutes of physical bliss, while deepening the misery of countless women and children." In the United States, an estimated 15-20 percent of men have purchased sex at least once in their lifetime. Prostitution, or as some would call it the "world's oldest profession" is fueled entirely by demand. If it weren't for the high number of buyers and the high frequency of transactions, pimps (and prostitutes) would be out of a job altogether. So if it's that simple, why are men still buying women, as if they were a cheap snack from the drive-thru at Taco Bell? Why are they continuing to take a piece of a nameless woman's soul without even thinking twice about it? Why are these men putting a price tag on a beautiful, astounding, immeasurable, unequivocally priceless human being?

I think a lot of the overall acceptance with prostitution and trafficking can be traced back to the age-old stereotypical belief that women want to be in this line of work and that it was their choice to join the commercial sex industry. Yet for most women, the facts just do not support such a misleading myth. To fully understand the women who are being exploited, and their reason for "choosing" this life; you have to take a look at who these women were before they entered the industry.

In one study, experts found that among prostituted women, 90 percent of them had been physically battered in childhood; 74 percent were sexually abused within their own families, and 50 percent have also been sexually abused by someone outside of the family. In Oregon, another study was done, explaining that 85 percent of prostitutes reported a history of incest and 98 percent cited a history of emotional abuse. As you can see, most of these women (if not all of them) started out damaged and broken before they began their journeys as "sex workers". They were not just walking along with perfect lives when they coincidentally stumbled upon prostitution and considered it as a substantial career move. Statistically, more than 90 percent of prostituted women want to leave the commercial sex industry, but lack the viable options to do so. One survivor described her situation by saying that prostitution is "the choice made by those who have no choice".

These women (for the most part) are not participating in this damaging "career" because of the financial gain or mere enjoyment. If their jobs and their lives were as pleasing and fulfilling as the buyers seem to believe, then why would the suicide rate amongst prostitutes be so alarmingly high? The Council For Prostitution Alternatives found that 65 percent of prostituted women had seriously attempted suicide, and 38 percent had attempted it more than once. While the figures may vary, public records show that 15 percent of all suicide victims in the U.S. are prostituted women and girls. But keep in mind that these numbers could be much higher, considering that most prostitutes aren't exactly filing their taxes and documenting the issues that they may be facing. If prostitutes love their jobs, then why are they (statistically) so eager to end their lives?

After reading this article, you might be wondering who I am, and why I care so damn much about this cause, or more specifically, these women. For the majority of the last year, I have worked directly with sex trafficking survivors through an incredible ministry within the Houston area. Getting to know so many priceless and precious women who have been used, abused, and exploited by the worst parts of this world has been one of the best and worst experiences of my life. It is beyond heartbreaking when you find out just how cruel the world can be, and it's been a difficult reality check that I refuse to fully accept. There is so much that I want to fix, but my hands and feet can only go so far.

However, on the other hand, this ministry has made me realize just how powerful God's sovereignty truly is. Watching The Lord steadily seek and madly pursue these incredible women has been one of the greatest treasures of my life. I never understood how relentless and unimaginably gracious God was until I saw the numerous ways that He would reach out to these women and unapologetically deliver them from their past mistakes and failures. God can look at someone who has been torn apart by the world, and all of the people in it; yet He will always find a way to see the beauty and the spark within them.

I never saw myself as a perfect person, but working in a "street" ministry has taught me that I am a lot more imperfect than I had ever imagined. I learned about grace, and truth, and Christ's love far beyond where my wildest imagination could have taken me. After seeing, hearing, and experiencing the "madness" in real-time, I can honestly say that my heart will never be the same as it once was.

My former job was the flame that ignited my passion to fight trafficking fully every day, in every situation, and with every person that I come across. I understand that not everybody will have this same fight in them, and I respect that. But I will ask you to at least attempt to understand trafficking and what it truly means, and most all, how it's affecting our society, and the beautiful, inspiring creations we call women. Nobody deserves to be put through this torment otherwise known as "prostitution". If you don't see any other movies this year, and if you don't read any other articles I write, then all I ask is that you please go watch this movie. Not for me, not for my God, but for these women. They deserve more. This society deserves more.

"It's funny, because we all read history, and we think, 'Oh I would have risen up, I would have fought, I would have been an abolitionist.' And I tell them, 'No, you wouldn't have. If you would have, you'd be doing that right now. You know trafficking exists, you've heard of it, but you don't want to look.'"
-Tim Ballard