What is SEO Optimization? A Guide for Beginners

SEO is a process of improving your website's

26

Are you new to SEO? Do you want to know how it works and how you can benefit from it? You are at the right place!

What is SEO?

At its core, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a process of improving your website's visibility in the organic search results of major search engines like Google. It is primarily performed to improve your website's rankings on search engines so more people can see it.

It was in the 90s when the concept of SEO initially came out when search engines first emerged. Nowadays, it has become an essential online marketing strategy, benefiting thousands of businesses around the globe.

If you are a beginner, asking yourself what is SEO optimization and want to learn it, you need to understand all its technical aspects. There are many techniques to perform SEO and achieve different goals, but the key purpose remains the same – to be at the top of search engine results.

What Is the Importance of SEO?

Today millions of people are on the internet, searching for the things they need online. With the help of SEO, you can bring that large online traffic into your benefit.

Here are some specific reasons why search engine optimization is important for your online presence:

• The majority of search engine users are more likely to visit the top 5 pages in the search engine results. That means if you want to get more visitors on your website, you should perform SEO to make your website appear at one of the top positions.
  • SEO is not only connected with search engines, but successful SEO practices improve a website's user experience.
  • SEO can put a business ahead of the competition. For instance, if two businesses are offering the same type of products or services, one with better SEO optimized site is likely to have more visits, higher leads, and ultimately make more sales.
  • SEO is good for promoting your site on different social platforms. People who find your website searching on Google are more likely to promote it on Facebook, Instagram, and other social media channels.

The Key Elements Of SEO

• 1.Keywords

The days are long gone when keywords were the only SEO technique, but that doesn't mean they aren't crucial anymore. Today, keywords have to be extensively analyzed, carefully selected, and carefully used to be successful in your content.

But what exactly are keywords? They are actually words and phrases used by prospects to find a product or service they are looking for online. Also, used by brands to connect with prospects seeking their products and services.

They are basically two types of keywords – short tail and long tail. Usually, there is high competition on short-tail keywords as compared to long-tail keywords. However, both these types of keywords are used in the content to optimize it for search engines.

• 2.Content

Content is the crucial component of SEO because it's very helpful to reach and engage the audience online. For instance, if you own an e-commerce business and want to increase its visibility, you might publish a series of blogs about retailing online, choosing the right strategies, what to sell online, how to increase profits, and more. When a person looking to buy something online business finds one of your blogs and sees the information as useful, it can help build a relationship. When he finds you know a lot about the product he wants to buy, and you are selling the same product at your store, there is a high probability he would purchase it from your store. However, it's necessary that the content you have published must be educational, relevant, and engaging.

Moreover, content can come in a variety of forms including web page content, videos, infographics, white papers, social media posts, etc.

• 3.Off-Page SEO

Off-page SEO involves external optimization techniques that happen away from your site. High-quality links from external websites tell search engines that your site is valuable and of high-quality, and this builds authority. The primary technique for off-page SEO is backlink building.

Backlink building has many strategies and some of the latest best practices include guest blogging, generating tons of widely circulated infographics, and mentioning influencers in your content.

• 4.Local SEO

With more and more people using mobile devices to search, local SEO is becoming increasingly important. Around 60 percent of all searches are performed from tablets and smartphones these days, and half of those searches have a local purpose.

For example, if you own a gym, local SEO would ensure that people in your area would come across your site when looking for the best gym in town. Some local SEO best practices include claiming directory lists, creating location-specific pages for your website, and creating business pages on Google My Company, Google+, and Google Maps - in addition to using local keywords in your content for search engine optimization.

What Are SEO Best Practices?

There are several things that you can do to get higher search engine rankings, including advanced SEO strategies and techniques. However, it's important for all beginners to get the basics down first.

SEO best practices act as the foundation to improve search engine rankings and increase website visibility. They are recommended by Kallen Media - Arizona SEO specialists - if you want to strengthen your online presence, divert more traffic to your website, and boost sales.

Here are a few SEO best practices:

• 1.Add the Primary Keywords Early In Your Content

You must be looking to use your keywords on your website a number of times. But perhaps you do not know that your keyword location also makes a difference.

Placing your main keyword at the top of your page at least once is recommended. But why does this matter? It's because Google puts more weight on words that appear on the top of a webpage. Therefore, it's important to use your primary keyword at least once at the beginning of your content, ideally in the first 50-100 words.

• 2.Write Unique Title Titles, Description & Content

The most important thing when it comes to writing SEO content is avoiding duplication. Search engines penalize sites with duplicate content and don't consider them when suggesting results. In fact, Google