What is an Electric Bike and How Does it Work

It is no secret to anyone that electric bicycles are revolutionizing urban transport, especially in the main cities of the world. For this reason, it is normal that you are interested in buying one but, for this, you must take into account some factors that will allow you to choose the best electric bicycle on the market.

4

Aspects to consider before choosing the best electric bike

Selecting the best electric bike will not only depend on its price, you must also take into account different factors where your experience and your needs are the basics. Below we detail everything you should pay special attention to before buying an electric bicycle:

type of bicycle

Since the beginning of the bicycle, there are different types of thoughts about the terrain through which they will move. That is why the first factor that you should be clear about before selecting the best electric bike is the type of bike you need.

Currently, you can find urban, folding, or even mountain bikes, but which one do you really need? Think about the route you plan to take with her and keep in mind the area in which you live (be it rural or urban).

Motor

As part of the most important components of the electric bicycle, we find its motor. This device can be located on both the axle and the wheel of the bike, everything will depend on the model you plan to take home.

Among the options for the best, electric bicycle 2021 are models that locate their motor on the axis, since it improves mobility and prevents us from feeling the usual pedaling. Also, many of these bikes include touch motion sensors that activate when we turn them on.

Battery

The best battery for an electric bicycle is the lithium one. Due to its low weight and high energy storage capacity, it is the favorite option of many manufacturing companies and, without a doubt, of the majority of hobbyists.

It is important that you bear in mind that lithium batteries for electric bikes can be located on their axle or on the wheel; In addition, there are models that offer them removable, therefore, it is in your hands to choose between a battery that implies more weight on your bike or another that you can temporarily remove to charge it once you get home.

Loading time

When choosing the best electric bike, you cannot forget the time it takes to be fully charged. Normally this type of bicycle can take 3 hours to charge; however, there are models that require up to 8 hours to reach 100% charge.

As an additional point related to the battery and the charging time, you should bear in mind that if you want your charge to be much faster, the price of the bicycle will be higher. Therefore, evaluate this aspect and compare it with your current budget before making the final decision.

Autonomy

The autonomy of electric bicycles, as in the case of electric cars, refers to the distance it is able to travel while in use. Therefore, it is a factor that depends not only on the motor and the battery, but also on basic aspects such as your body weight, that of the bicycle, and even the type of terrain on which you move.

Today we can find electric bicycles whose autonomy only reaches 25 km, but there are also models that are between 100 and 150 km. Therefore, it is important that you calculate the mileage you intend to do with your bike (from home to work, for example) and, thus, determine the autonomy you need.

Brakes

As one of the most important aspects to ensure your safety, or that of the person who will use the electric bicycle, we find the brakes. Currently, bicycles with mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes are marketed.

The recommendation of the experts when determining the best quality-price electric bicycle is to bet on this type of brakes because they offer great efficiency when braking. However, they are complex systems that are sometimes expensive to maintain.

Electric bicycle and rider weight

The weight of the product and your body weight are also fundamental aspects that you should take into account before choosing the best electric bike for you. There are models whose weight is immensely higher than others, due to the engine, the battery or other aspects; but there are also light ones, with which you can drive much safer.

With regard to the bodyweight of the cyclist, the importance of knowing this information before selecting the best electric bicycle lies in the comfort when moving and, in addition, in the autonomy of the equipment.

If the weight of the bicycle and/or the cyclist is very high, the battery will need to use more energy in order to function properly, thus affecting the autonomy of the product. Do not forget!

Other aspects

The dimensions of the bike, the manufacturing materials, the luggage rack that it has (or not), the materials of the saddles, the space to install supports for your mobile ... All these aspects are also decisive when deciding on the best bicycle electric for you.

Ultimately, knowing which is the best electric bike depends on many aspects that, in turn, are influenced by your needs and your daily routine. Initially evaluate the factors that we mentioned above and enjoy all the advantages that this sustainable and healthy means of transport has to offer you.

If you want to start viewing options for high-quality, efficient electric bicycles, we invite you to browse our bike catalog at the Twenergy Store. Maybe you will find your future electric bike ... 😉