What is a Subnet Calculator and How to Use it?
News

Calculator

22

.

In the networking industry, subnetting is one topic that trips people up (new and experienced alike). Performing (mental) calculations in decimal and binary are one of the reasons for this.

Moreover, subnetting is also difficult for many people because they haven't had enough practice; that is why tools like iplocation.io/subnet-calculator are created to resolve this issue. We know that you think about what a subnet calculator is and how to use it, So don't worry, you are on the right website.

We will help you to provide information about it through this article, so keep scrolling. Anyhow, before discussing the subnet calculator, let’s have a look at the subnet.

What is Subnet?

Having a firm understanding of IP addresses will help you understand subnets. IP addresses contain key information, such as the network the device is connected to and its characteristics. Devices, or computers, are called hosts.

In short, IP addresses are used to identify connected networks and hosts. The hardware cannot deliver information if it can't identify which network a host is connected to.

A large organization with a vast network complicates this.

A network can become too large, which will negatively affect its performance. The network's capacity is overloaded due to congestion. In this case, subnetting is the solution. A subnet allows you to organize your network in a more manageable manner.

Subnets are smaller networks within the network that allow for more people to be added to it without causing congestion. A subnet enables an organization to make the most of network capacity and helps the network function more effectively.

A subnet lets you divide a network into "units," ensuring the correct information stays with the right team. IP addresses in a subnet all have the same bit-group. The IP address is visible and logically divided into two fields: a routing or network prefix followed by the host identifier or rest. The rest field represents an interface or host's identity.

What is a Subnet Calculator?

A Subnet Calculator is a tool primarily used by IT and Network professionals. As its name suggests, the tool's task is pretty self-explanatory. This tool is used to calculate subnets. The Subnet Calculator calculates or generates subnets for you based on IP addresses or CIDR notations. In subnetting, your network is divided into smaller segments. In addition to being a subnet, it can also be considered a partitioned portion of a network.

How to Use a Subnet Calculator?

Subnet Calculator allows you to enter IP address ranges or CIDR notation. The subnet Calculator will automatically include the last IP address when you enter the range.

Subnets can be selected from the drop-down menu on the Quantity tab.

The Size tab allows you to set the subnet size as well. Using this tab, you can control the subnet's low range, enabling you to manage the minimum number of hosts in the subnet.

When you are finished, click Generate.

Using the Subnet Calculator, you can determine how many hosts are in your network, for example, 1024, the start and end IP addresses, and the subnet mask. Additionally, you can adjust the size of the subnets with the slider at the top.

PRO TIP: Try using Restore Repair if the problem is with your computer so that the repositories can be scanned and corrupted or missing files can be replaced. In most cases, when a corrupted system causes the problem, this solution works.

Why Use a Subnet Calculator?

You enter CIDR notation or IP address ranges into a subnetting calculator. As a result, you should see a list of subnets. There are many reasons why subnet calculators are used, as subnetting has different purposes for different people.

As briefly discussed earlier, network administrators and professionals primarily use subnets for an organization. An extensive network can be partitioned to allocate addresses to specific departments or teams.

Additionally, it is easier to trace any issues to a smaller subnet, making them easier to identify. You'll be able to locate the source of the problem faster than if you searched through an undivided network.

However, subnets serve other purposes as well. Using subnetting, you can also expand a location's IP address range, maximizing network capacity. Hence, if you've run out of IP addresses in one subnet, you can always create another.

Altering a subnet mask will change the subnet size, freeing up unused IP addresses to be used in a different subnet entirely. Boosting security through subnetting is a common practice among IT professionals. With a clear organizational structure, you can control information flow better.

In this way, you can prevent departments from accessing data they are not authorized to see, for example. In light of these reasons for subnetting, subnet calculators serve a simple purpose.

Conclusion

Subnet Calculator is a powerful tool that simplifies many tasks. A non-tech-savvy person can use the tool reasonably quickly since it is self-explanatory. With the calculator, you can adjust subnet sizes and ranges in various ways. Take your time and experiment with the options. This will save you a lot of time and effort once you learn how to use it.