What is a KOL in healthcare and is it Ethical?

KOL

653

A key opinion leader (KOL) is someone who is respected, influential, and has proven experience and expertise in a particular field.

A KOL is important in every field, including healthcare. The KOL could be a physician, researcher, and so on. What matters is that the individual is trusted and commands respect from other people in the same field.

The purpose of a KOL is not to make fun of or oppress others. It is mainly to provide a leader who will speak on behalf of every other person in that field. Let’s take a look at how it works.

Features of a KOL

There are certain features that make a KOL stand out. Moreover, it is based on those features that the individual earns that position. For instance, a person who is timid, shy, and inexperienced cannot be a KOL. However, the person should have a wide range of roles and backgrounds. Assuming you are finding it difficult to choose a KOL, below are the features to look out for:

Given a lecture at a national conference

Before a person is invited to speak at a national conference or event, it means that they know their onus. As you may know, not every person is given the honor to address their colleagues at a national event. Besides, addressing your colleague requires a lot of wisdom and experience because any mistake can be easily pointed out. Therefore, let the KOL be someone who has spoken at a national conference or event but also locally and internationally.

Published research in a medical journal

Not just any research is published in a medical research journal. The research has to be apt and provide futuristic or immediate solutions to medical problems that may be facing a certain area. Research published in medical journals goes through a lot of scrutiny, including providing proven results that show how the process worked. Therefore, if a person's research makes it to a medical journal, then it means the individual is grounded in that area of medicine.

Joined Clinical Trials

The process of conducting a clinical trial is hectic. You have to pass through various stages before you get approval to conduct a clinical trial. For instance, to conduct a clinical trial, you need the assistance of other professionals in your field. The research and testing of new tests and treatments on humans are known as clinical trials. Don’t forget, a successful clinical test could take a long time and is often rigorous.

Member of a Board in a Respected Organization

To become a member of a board in a medical facility requires a lot of experience and respect. A potential KOL should have headed a board or been a member. That way, other members in that medical field would have more respect for the individual considering the status they have attained. Aside from experience, other virtues required to become a member of a medical board include humility, honesty, etc.

Treated a Huge Percentage of Patients in a Single Specialty Area

The medical profession requires constant practice and research. The only way to practice medicine is to attend to patients. Therefore, the more patients you attend to, the more experience you will acquire. In addition, attending to patients in a specialty area makes you focused, and the individual service delivery will be superb compared to those in the general health sector.

What is the Importance of KOL in Healthcare

Key opinion leaders make it easier to communicate with healthcare practitioners in that field. Because they have the respect of their colleagues, it becomes easier to reach them and get feedback through the opinion leaders. Below are the importance of KOLs in healthcare:

• Awareness: Earlier we mentioned that a KOL should be someone who is respected and influential in their specialty area. A KOL can only create awareness if they have these qualities.
  • Increase Sales Value: Let’s assume you are a pharmaceutical company with a new product, marketing that product may be difficult if you don’t reach out to KOLs in that specialty area. The KOL will market the product to other members so they can use it in their prescriptions. They can influence the purchasing decisions within their own network

These days, pharmaceutical companies are partnering with KOLs to introduce new medications or other treatments. The influence of KOLs cannot be underrated in the healthcare sector.

What do you need to Become a KOL in the Healthcare Sector?

There is no laid down rule on how to become a KOL in the healthcare sector or any other. Since a KOL must be influential, you need to have certain features to get the respect of your colleagues. A KOL must have experience and be well respected. If you can’t command the respect of your colleagues, then the chances of becoming a KOL are slim. Also, it requires a lot of hard work to earn the respect of others. In other words, you must be exceptional in your special area.

Conclusion

Whether it's in the healthcare sector or another, a KOL must be someone who has distinguished themselves in that field. In the healthcare sector, you have to find new treatments for rare diseases, and also publish research in a medical journal. Finally, it requires consistent hard work to become a KOL in the healthcare sector. Pharmaceutical companies don’t take KOLs for granted.