What I'm Not Ashamed To Admit

What I'm Not Ashamed To Admit

Love is love.
33

If you don't like what I'm about to say, I just want you to know one thing: I really don't care. Exit out, block me, curse my name if that'll make you feel better. Just don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

First off, I just want to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, I am not ashamed to admit that I fully support same-sex couples. And the most shocking part? I'm a Christian!

The funny thing is that half the people reading this article will think that I am a hypocrite. How dare I be a Christian and support such a shameful idea. The other half will use this as a tactic to demote religion. However, I don't think God will disown me as his child if I show the LGBT community my love and support.

Again: I do not care. Because only one person can judge me. The best part? That person is not you.

The way I see it, I will not let adulterers, thieves, liars, etc. rant on how homosexuals will be condemned to hell. One sin is not worse than another in the eyes of God. A major thing I heard several times growing up in a church was that "You could even murder someone," but, as long as you admit that Jesus is the son of God who was sent here to save you because of your sins, you will go to heaven.

How can someone that lives such an unholy life, go to heaven, but someone who believes in God, that believes these things, go to hell, because of who he/she is attracted to?

When I was 16 years old, I heard a preacher confess that when he attended college, he himself had had homosexual thoughts. In front of God and everyone he shared this. The ironic part is that God is the only one that we should worry about, yet I'm sure his heart was racing as he spoke these words to hundreds of Christians. In that moment, I had never respected anyone more. He also told us that he had invited a lesbian couple to attend next Sunday and that we should all welcome them.

So, I will not sit here and listen to a 16-year-old girl say how she cannot let this boy go because "the heart wants what it wants," and "You cannot help who you love." Almost everyone accepts these statements. Except when it comes to homosexuals. Then, the game changes completely.

Maybe I am so biased on this topic because my best friend is gay. The first person he told was me. I remember the tears as he questioned why God would make him this way. But, then I remembered: God loves everyone.

However, I can't imagine what he went through. You see, when you go to a high school of only 400 people, of course, people will make a scene when two boys start slow dancing together at prom. Honestly, though, I feel bad for those that had to call their parents and exclaim "Did you know they are gay?!" I truly, sincerely feel sorrow for those people. Instead of enjoying their prom night like my best friend, they took time out of their last high school dance to inform others of business that did not concern them.

A few weeks later, my best friend and I went on a double date. That's right: Three boys and one girl. The four of us carpooled to a huge college campus and went ice skating. I made them hold hands while I took pictures and captured cute candids. A few minutes later, something hit me: No one was looking at us. Nobody cared that two boys were skating hand in hand. Nobody judged them for caring about each other romantically.

That day restored my faith in humanity.

So, if you're one of many people who is judging me, my friend, or anyone who has homosexual thoughts, that's OK. I will pray for you. But, if you're one of the people that have a heart or are worried about what happened to this friend of mine, don't fret. He officially came out during his valedictorian speech. Right now, he is at John Hopkins University studying to become a doctor. The best part? The love of his life followed him halfway across the country. I guess they made their own special kind of fairytale. From Illinois to Maryland, you know what they say: the heart wants what it wants.