I wake up and go to the bathroom. While I wash my hands, brush my teeth and wash my face, I am right in front of the mirror looking into it. Then I get dressed for the day and walk in front of my full-length mirror. What am I looking for? My mirror won't talk back to me to approve my appearance for the day and even if she did I don't think I would like what she has to say.

What would the world be like if our mirrors actually spoke to us? We are surrounded by mirrors constantly. Whether it be in a CVS, the rearview mirror in your car, the mirrors in the library bathroom or even our phone screens. Mirrors can't talk and yet we look into them for affirmation about our physical appearance.

We spend hours in front of a mirror trying on a zillion different clothing pieces only to end up feeling unsatisfied. Why do we do this to ourselves? Why do we let our mirrors be our biggest critique, but also the supporter we are so desperately trying to get attention from?

Mirrors pick you apart based on what your wearing or if you have makeup on. They make you feel like a beautiful princess or a troll as you get ready for a first date. They control the opinion that we have of ourselves. They tear you down when you need a pick me up the most. They distort our reality of our true beauty. Mirrors should not be able to control the sum of our worth.

Guys and girls, we all do it. While we're walking to class we'll quickly take a glance at the mirror to make sure we are presenting ourselves correctly. Getting ready for a night out we do 10 mirror checks to make sure our outfit is on point and all of our blemishes are covered. When we take a selfie, we are so anal to make sure we look good in the picture that we practically edit it until it no longer looks like us.

Most days I think that if my mirror spoke to me she would say the following, "Girl again you are going outside wearing those blue Nike sneakers, black leggings and the same tank top with the flannel tied around your waist?" To which I would reply, "Duh." If my mirror informed me that I should be wearing a cuter outfit with a smidgen of makeup, then I would probably laugh in its face. I should be the one determining how I want to present myself. I shouldn't let a piece of glass, be it in the form of friends, coworkers, family or boys, decide how I should feel about myself. Mirrors take many different shapes and forms in our life. If they all really spoke the truth, what would they say?

Our mirrors will not tell us that we are the fairest of them all, but still we look to them for some sort of confirmation that we are presentable to be seen in public. We look to them for reassurance that we are beautiful. We shouldn't look to a piece of glass for that, we should look within ourselves. It seems as though mirrors just exist to make us feel bad about ourselves. Mirrors let us be our own worst critic.

Most of the time, I look like I just rolled out of bed based on my attire. I don't need my mirror to judge me and tell me I look less than a solid 10. On a night out, I don't need my mirror to lift my spirits and compliment my looks. I have to be able to do that for myself. My mirror shouldn't dictate my feelings towards myself, I should.

If my mirror could talk, it would not say the nicest things and that's OK. I know I may not look good a majority of the days, but I feel comfortable and I feel like myself. I feel good.

Mirrors misconstrue the truth about your physical appearances and don't see the beauty of you on the inside.

If your mirror could talk, what would it say? And would you listen?