What Having A Roommate Has Taught Me

What Having A Roommate Has Taught Me

Having a roommate is not always a pleasant thing, but in my case, it was.
371

I've never had a roommate before, so moving to college and having four, rocked my world. Now, technically, I have one roommate and two suite mates, but when it comes to cleaning and buying supplies for our joint bathroom, we're all in this together. In saying so, there have been more than a few things I have discovered since enjoying their company.

You get super close.

My roommate's name is Mallory, and she went to high school with me. We played sports together when we were younger, and I kept the book for the Varsity basketball team she played on. We have always known each other but were pretty much only acquaintances. Being the only two girls to go to Troy University from our school, we immediately stuck together and wanted to room. Just because we agreed to room, didn't mean we became best friends in the ending months of senior year, but it did mean that we went everywhere together the first few months of freshman year (don't get me wrong, we still drag the other one wherever we need or want to go). Now, Mallory and I know everything about each other and have spent many nights venting to one another.

I've kept a better cleaning schedule.

I wasn't, by any means, nasty or unkept before having a roommate, but leaving a Pop-Tart wrapper on your desk for a couple of days, or dirty laundry on the floor, are smaller things that I've taken care of sooner rather than later because of Mallory's presence.

We stay on top of one another.

When scheduling classes, typically one of us makes sure that each of us starts our day at the same time so that one is always pressuring the other to get a move on when we are being lazy. We also make sure that each of us is doing well in class and get an ample amount of study time, because, if one of us fails, it leaves the other without a roommate.

What's mine is your's.

I know not all roommates are like how Mallory and I are, especially with this. If one of us buys food or drinks, its for both of us. If I have a cute top, we have a cute top. If she has hairspray, we have hairspray. Just because this silent rule is in place, doesn't mean our decency vanishes, because we tend to always ask even though we know the answer is yes.

So, despite our differences, Mallory and I have learned a lot and have come a long way in our friendship. We may not always get along, but we also know that each of us are there for each other, and that's what it's all about. Mallory, if you're reading this, just know I am blessed to be your roomie and I love you!