So What Happened To Celebrating Thanksgiving Before Christmas?

I feel like the holiday season is so rushed with a push for Christmas, that everyone forgets about Thanksgiving.

47

I love Christmas more than the next person, but really Starbucks? You released your holiday cups the day after Halloween. These aren't even holiday neutral cups, they are obviously targeted toward Christmas with presents, Christmas trees, and red and green coloring. Starbucks is one of the many to start the trend of celebrating Christmas before the turkey on Thanksgiving has even been sliced.

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't remember this push for starting to celebrate Christmas in November as a kid. I just can't get behind celebrating Christmas when the leaves are still changing and it is 40-50 degrees outside. I remember the weekend after Thanksgiving, putting up our family Christmas tree and beginning to celebrate the most wonderful time of the year.

I've noticed over the past couple of years that Thanksgiving has just started to be disregarded completely. This makes me sad because I love Thanksgiving.

Do I agree with its roots and how the holiday of Thanksgiving started? No, but I love how all of my family gathers over food, watches football together, and endures the inevitable food coma afterward. The focus isn't on any presents. It's all about eating great food, pumpkin pies, and spending time with close family and friends.

I also miss Black Friday actually being on the day after Thanksgiving, not starting at 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving afternoon. This inhibits those who work in the stores who just want to enjoy Thanksgiving with their families. Stores feel the need to be the first to make their Christmas deals available, which takes away from the focus of Thanksgiving in general. So yes, I am very against premature Christmas celebrating, because Thanksgiving is also a holiday and deserves to be shown some love too.

So Happy Thanksgiving Y'all.