What Being a Girl Scout Taught Me

What Being a Girl Scout Taught Me

Being a Girl Scout for 11 years has had such a positive impact on my life.

3

I have been a Girl Scout for the past 11 years. I joined the organization when I was in second grade. This organization has had a huge impact in shaping me into who I am today. I learned communication skills, leadership skills, and ways to better my community. I was introduced to a group of girls, and we formed strong bonds with one another that we would never have had without Girl Scouts. Having a strong support group of girls was really helpful, and somewhat empowering.

The most important thing i got out of this organization was how much good my group and I accomplished. We were able to do community service that affected so many lives. One of the most influential things for me is when we visited Rosie's Place. Rosie's Place is a shelter for homeless women and their children. As a group, we were able to raise money and go cook dinner for the women in the shelter. We prepared and served the meals to the women, and it was amazing to be helping other people. We also were able to do community service like Cradles to Crayons, sending cards to the troops, donating to the local food pantry, as well as fundraising activities.

Girl Scouts has also presented many exciting opportunities that I would not have had without the organization. We went glass blowing a couple of years ago, which was something that I would have never thought of doing. We also went zip lining, white water rafting, and camping, things that are totally out of my comfort zone. Girl Scouts pushed me to get out of my comfort zone, and without it, I may not have experienced these opportunities.

I encourage younger girls, and girls, in general, to think about joining this great organization. Not only is Girl Scouts rewarding because you help others, but it also makes community service enjoyable and gives you experience. Girl Scouts isn't just about the cookies, but it's about empowering young women to become strong leaders and be fearless in pursuit of their dreams.