What It Feels Like To Have Work At 6 AM As A College Student

You read that right... 6 AM!

Fortunately or unfortunately — you choose — I have maxed out my schedule with 18 credits. In doing so, that means my schedule is jam-packed. I have class from Monday to Friday 9 AM to 4 PM so yeah... basically classes all day.

And luckily or unluckily, again — you can choose — I have a job on campus! But... here's the not-so-cool part of the job: I have to have a breakfast/lunch, dinner, and closing shift. Since I have class from 9 AM to 4 PM, the possibility of signing up for a lunch shift is out the door and thus, I have to work a breakfast shift.

Most people work breakfast shifts between 8 AM and 11 AM but not me... this lucky girl has to work a breakfast shift at 6 AM every Tuesday and then go to her 9 AM class right after! Oh, and here's another piece of important information: my closing shift is on Monday night from 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm... which means that the maximum hours of sleep I can get in between Monday night and Tuesday morning is 7 hours!

But, being a college student, that usually doesn't happen considering the fact that I have loads of homework (that I usually "forget" about) and organizations that I am a part of.

Did I forget to mention that I work in the dining hall? Yes.. the dining hall. And, maybe at this point, you may be thinking: Isn't the dining hall the easiest place to work at? Let me answer your question: HELL NO!

I've worked in all different types of settings before: from cooking s'mores at a campground to repetitively scanning paperwork in the tiny cubicle of a scorching hot office. But, I can tell you that absolutely nothing compares to the tedious and extraneous amount of work I have had to do in the dining hall... especially at 6 AM.

Some tasks include but are not limited to:

1. Carrying metal trays of lasagna that weigh at least 10 pounds. Hey... keep in mind that I don't weigh much so basically these trays weigh me down.

2. Cleaning up after people's messes. Unfortunately, even at the collegiate level, some people simply don't know how to clean up after themselves... and then, I have to do their dirty work for them.

3. Transporting boxes of apples, bananas, and any other fruit under the sun from the east side of the dining hall all the way to the west side. There are around at least 50 bananas/apples/"you name it" fruit in each of these boxes... so my arm muscles have been working and growing... hopefully.

Now, if all of that isn't bad enough, don't forget that I do all of this at 6 AM! After my shift, my body feels numb so walking to class literally feels like I'm dragging a dead body around.

So the next time you complain about the tiniest little annoying thing that just occurred in your life, remember that this girl has to wake up from her most vivid dream at 5:30 AM on a Tuesday morning, when her alarm decides it's ok to disrupt the most vivid dream she's ever had, just so she can make that cash and not be a broke college student!