What Do I Want? I Don't Know

What Do I Want? I Don't Know

And that is perfectly okay.

27
What Do I Want? I Don't Know
Huffington Post

I've been asked numerous times what I want whether it be from life, for my future, from a specific person or just for dinner.

It's a question that plagues us regardless of what is happening in our lives.

What do I want?

Honestly, I never know how to answer that question. Sure I might have an idea or a relatively put together answer for the various things it could be pertaining to. But I am never sure.

I do not know what I want from life or for my future. I have an idea. I know that I want to be successful. I know that I want to try and make it out alive. But I do not know exactly what I want. I do not know which path I want to take or where I ultimately want to end up. I do not have a set plan because something could come up and that plan could be tossed in the trash at a moments notice. I don't know what entirely I want from life.

I could one minute want a career and the next want to be a mom. I could want to go to graduate school and then the next week want to change my major to something completely different. I have that option. And I don't know what I want to do.

I know what I need for life: food, water, shelter and income. Do I know what I want for each of those? Hell no, not at this point in time.

I do not know what I want from people yet. I do not know if I want to be in a relationship or single or get a ton of cats. I do not know if I want a large group of friends or four close ones. I do not know what I want from those people, and it's because I'm still young and learning what's best for my life. I do not know how I feel about a certain person because honestly it changes from day to day. I could like someone one minute but then they say something that doesn't sit right with me and it changes me completely.

I do know though that I need a support system that doesn't let me fall through the cracks unnoticed. Do I know who the support system will be composed of yet? No, not a chance.

I never know what I want for dinner until I'm ravenously going through my cupboards at 8 p.m. when I've been snacking for the past two hours. That will probably never change.

I do not know what I want. But I think that's okay.

We're at a time in our lives when everything around us is changing. We're learning new things and meeting new people and changing our minds at the speed of light. We don't need to have our life planned out month by month or day by day at this point in time. We don't need to choose our friends and stick with them for life, sure we can if they're awesome but we have the right to choose who actually should be there. We don't need to know what we're going to have for dinner every night as long as dinner is an option in our lives!

I do not know what I want, and neither do a lot of people. And, there's nothing wrong with it.

There's this idea that everything needs to be planned out and we should know exactly what we want, where we're going and how we plan to get there. I've been on the conveyor belt of life for a long time, but I think that's no longer the case.

There's a myriad of possibilities for us out there, so why choose what we want when there is so much more we could discover or know?

We don't know what we want, but we shouldn't yet. Sure, we might have an idea, but our end goal can change. And that's okay.

We just need to know what we need. We can figure out the rest later.