Being In A Sorority Means I Can Help Others

We say "rush my srat!!!", but why?

157
Abby Perez

DISCLAIMER: this is not an article on me saying "Tri Delta is the best sorority" or "Tri Delta has the best philanthropy" in any way.

As more of a reflection, this article talks about the experience that showed me and verified the two main components I believe truly make a sorority: sisterhood and philanthropy. If there is one thing I do wish you interpret from this article, let it be that I hope you all find this kind of feeling in whichever sorority you choose to accept or the sorority you're in.

Ever since I was a little girl, my mama has always told me that whatever I choose to be, let it eventually be something that I love--"if it's something you love, it isn't work, is it"? I've kept that mentality near to my heart and I told myself that what I truly love, plain and simple, is to help others. And so I now make an effort to choose opportunities in my life that will help me help others, furthering my path into finding what I can truly do with the rest of my life, as intended.

So... what does any of this have to do with sorority/Greek life?

I walked into recruitment with so much going in my life and so many influences on what and which way to go; knowing all these things came out of love and care, I had to appreciate all that was being put in front of me. Philanthropy means a lot to me (as stated above), and that was a big factor in how I viewed myself in a sorority. Getting that bid from Tri Delta was amazing not just because of the women I knew and would get to know better, but knowing our philanthropy was St. Jude.

It has an amazing but seriously heavy reputation to carry. All the sororities on my campus (and I'm sure all around the world) have lovely ladies and wonderful philanthropies, but Tri Delt's philanthropy of St. Jude is very special to me in regards to how it approaches healthcare. This summer of 2018, I have been blessed with the opportunity to join some sorority sisters on a trip to visit Memphis where St. Jude Research Hospital is.

In all honesty, I would have never known this trip would have such a big impact on me, but the experience had proven my assumptions completely wrong. After pulling into the St. Jude lot, I couldn’t be more astounded by how much could be created by donations. A research hospital dedicated to employing the best researchers, doctors, nurses, and general staff provided such a caring and loving environment for these children and their families. Seeing how events and fundraisers our sorority has done seems so minuscule until you see the magic created for children and families who don’t have a choice.

It was expected that I would feel a certain way and be astounded by the hospital and foundations' work; but what I hadn’t realized was with looking around, I couldn’t believe how much of St. Jude was able to be created from Tri Delta—especially the Tri Delta Place that houses families and their kids, all these amenities without a cost. They provide children’s (and families’) whole life and future, offering different kinds of religious services, care such as dentistry & gynecology services for example, and the amazing technology to further the cure and the end of childhood cancer. I became so proud of being a little part of such a big movement Tri Delta was doing, as the sorority provides funds to make these things happen on a corporate level, doing the unimaginable.

But it was how I saw things on a micro scale is what really solidified that being in a sorority, this sorority, was meant to be: bumping into a parent of a young child that had been taken care of under the Tri Delta Place and simply hearing, “what you guys do really do make a difference” as tears are amidst his eyes and his voice is tender in gratitude is what captured my purpose in Tri Delta. I was humbled due being in a sorority, a position that reputationally is not known to do so.

I know a lot of us think of sororities sometimes through a stereotypical lens, as a competition, or jokable—similar to how we sometimes look at most things in our lives. However, if we all take a step back, there is so much more of what we can make of something like a sorority or Greek life. Being in a Greek association is something I see as an honor and privilege: a platform that can open so many doors if you see its potential. Going on the St. Jude trip had given me a better view of seeing what my potential can be in not only better myself, but in bettering the lives affected by childhood cancer and healthcare provision.

As I’m aware for many colleges and universities this time is vital for you all to prepare for recruitment, please think: sometimes going in to seek what you can better in the world through an association help your choices hugely. If you’re afraid of joining a certain sorority or a sorority in general due to reputation, know it truly is what you make of it and what you choose to do with this platform. Taking chances, getting involved, and grabbing hold of opportunities (such as this trip for me) brings you things you never thought you’d gain.

As Danny Thomas, founder of St. Jude stated, “those who work for the good at those who do good”. As known, he has created a hospital to help many after his success as an entertainer. Without the will of taking a leap of faith for something bigger than him, granting St. Jude medical miracles wouldn’t be possible. He used his platform, an opportunity not many can take similar to a being in a sorority. So I hope you be a Danny Thomas because you never know if you’ll take steps to make the next generation's miracles happen.

Via Abby Perez