What Are Your Letters?

What Are Your Letters?

I'll give you a hint, it has nothing to do with the Greek alphabet

88
What Are Your Letters?
Anna Russo

Another year has come and gone and another recruitment season has arrived. Thousands of girls are about to brave all types of weather conditions to try and figure out what chapter they fit best in. Once recruitment is over and you've found your home, the question we all hear most is "What are your letters?" (next to "can you pronounce/spell your letters out for me slowly"). While every girl shouts their letters from the rooftops to hear, here is something everyone should know:

No matter what combination of the Greek alphabet your letters are, your real letters are Y-O-U.

What does this mean? Out of 1000 girls who rush, most are happy, if not at least satisfied with the chapter they've landed in, for the select few though, recruitment was not what they expected and are not thrilled with their outcome.

What every woman should know is that these Greek letters that a good portion of the college population seems to strive for, have nothing to do with who the individual is. You make your letters mean something, the letters do not make you mean something. Greek life is fun and exciting no doubt, but no girl should ever be ashamed or put themselves above others because of the letters they wear on any given day.

Being in a sorority is about sisterhood, and finding your best friends. It's being put in a family tree and to find the girls you'd travel halfway around the world for. The letters you wear are supposed to represent the philanthropies you raise money for, and the connections you'll make in the days to come.

Being in a sorority is not about one chapter being better than another, or who can prove their girls are hotter or more fun.

The letters Y-O-U stand for your individual personality that you can offer to your chapter and bring to the table to make it better because you've arrived, NOT that you're better because you now wear letters that won't matter after college.

The reputation of "Greek Rank" isn't a thing unless you make it a thing because as long as you've made lifelong connections, ratings should not matter. You have the power to make your experience in Greek life anything you want it to be.

After going through recruitment myself, the advice I have to offer to all PNMs is to not lose sight of yourself. Don't try and act a certain way if that's not who you really are just to try and fit in; trust the process.

You matter more than any letters will, and once you find where you belong, you'll have the time of your life finding your best friend(s). Always remember the true letters under the Greek ones. Best of luck to all the girls about to go through recruitment!