What Are The Steps For Shipping Household Goods From The US To UK?

On the other hand, sea freight takes 10-15 days to move your things from the USA to the UK, which may be too long for many people.

26

Moving from one city to another is a mammoth task. And when we talk about shipping our household items from the US to the UK, we are looking at manifold challenges that require thorough research, preparation, and the availability of trustworthy overseas shippers. In this article, we will simplify the process of shipping your goods from the United States to the UK.

Decide Between Air Freight and Sea Freight

The two best options for shipping household goods from USA to UK are air and sea freight. While a plane’s cargo will be the faster option to ship your items, it is a lot more expensive than sea freight.

However, for patients, sea freight is around five times cheaper than a cargo plane. While it costs $5000 - $5500 to move your household items by air, you will only require around $2300 to send the goods by sea.

Learn About The Items You Are Allowed To Ship To UK

The United Kingdom has some rigid regulations when it comes to inbound shipments. Therefore, you must know which items to include and which ones to leave if you do not wish to get involved in a legal hassle.

The following items are prohibited when you are shipping from the USA to the UK:

• Self-defense liquid and gas sprays like CS gas and pepper spray).
  • Offensive weapons that may inflict physical injury or terror (like long-range firearms, knives larger than kitchen size, sharpened metal rods, brass knuckles, etc.)
  • Alcohol and addictive substances like heroin, cocaine, and LSD;
  • Prescription-only drugs without a valid prescription;
  • Endangered animals and species;
  • Obscene or indecent materials;
  • Rough diamonds;
  • Raw meat and dairy items.

The following things are allowed with certain restrictions:

• You need a special license to ship small firearms and ammunition from the USA to the UK.
  • Some plant and food products are not allowed if they are not disease-free and pest-free and are for commercial use.
  • A pet can travel to the UK with the condition that it is moved through an approved shipper on an approved sea, rail, or air route.

Know The UK’s Customs Tariffs

When shipping large numbers of items from the USA to the United Kingdom, it is better to stay informed about the various kinds of taxes and import duties. You can claim a deduction on shipping duties and taxes if you meet certain conditions. If you are relocating permanently to the UK, you can submit form ToR01 to claim exemption from customs duties on your household belongings.

However, if you are shipping your goods for a brief period and plan to return to the USA shortly, you must submit form C88. After the submissions, the UK customs department will decide whether you are eligible for any tax or duty reliefs.

Note that you can ship your household items tax and duty-free if:

• You are shipping your regular house to the UK.
  • You have resided in the USA for 12 months or more and had the items with you for at least six months.
  • You did not obtain these items under a tax/duty-free scheme.
  • You do not wish to lend, sell, or dispose of the items in the United Kingdom for the next 12 months.

Choose An Efficient Mover

Before engaging with a shipping agency, understand your specific priorities and requirements. To do this, focus on the following aspects:

• Nature of your goods: How big, heavy and expensive are your items? What is the average dimension of your lot? What is the portion of fragile items?
  • Delivery speed: If you are traveling by air, you want to receive your goods as soon as possible. However, the cost of shipping may increase with faster delivery.
  • Tracking capability: If you are shipping valuable items, you would like to keep track of the shipment's location. The tracking facility also helps you be ready when the goods arrive at your new home.
  • Customer service: It is crucial to select a shipping partner who clarifies all your queries and transparent charges and regulations.

You can select an agency based on these parameters from the carriers that ship to the UK.

Finalize The Container Size And The Destination Inside the UK

Once you have chosen a shipping company, decide on the type of shipping container. There are three containers for sea routes: 20 ft, 40 ft, and LCL/ groupage containers. A standard 20 ft container can handle the items of a common mid-sized apartment. 40 ft shipping containers are ideal for large houses or apartments. LCL containers are ideal if your goods do not fit the earlier-mentioned sizes.

While you complete the formalities, make sure you have finalized your UK destination and are not changing it when the destination is about to enter the UK. The nation has ports in all directions of its border, and the shipper will move your goods in, depending on the location.

Final Words

When you ship to the UK, the critical things to remember are to keep the expenses down, avoid breakages and damage, and receive your goods timely. The points mentioned above will help you do so calmly and without burning a hole in your pocket