What are the Main Benefits of Choosing Solar Lighting?
News

Choosing Solar Lighting

14

If you need lighting in an area that is off the grid, it can be a serious cost undertaking to get lighting to that specific location.

Solar lighting systems offer security and lighting in areas where it is needed and there is no available connection to the power grid. Solar lighting is not only a reasonable alternative but are also a solution that is cost-effective for any project. So, what are the main benefits of choosing solar lighting?

This is a Green Solution

Since solar lighting is powered via the sun, the energy that it utilizes is endless. It does not require any power to run it as traditional lighting does. Solar panels can provide light and a power source during an electrical blackout. The solar cell collects energy from the sun throughout the day while there is sunlight. As the sun goes down, the solar cell kicks in and then the battery where the collected energy is stored will take over and provide lighting. The lighting can be operated during specific times that the user can set up in advance to get the most life out of the stored battery and energy.

Installation is Very Low Cost

Each solar lighting pole has a similar cost to that of a light that is connected to a power grid, but that is where the costs end. There is not trenching required to ensure that the wiring is buried and connected to the grid. Footers for solar lights are often larger so that the extra weight of the light which includes the solar power assembly panel is completely supported.

Low Maintenance

A solar lighting system requires little maintenance since the LED fixtures have a lifespan of around twenty years. Traditional lighting systems which use photocells require constant maintenance. Solar panels act as a photocell and use standard controls. The solar lighting panel is being charged, the controller keeps the light fixture off to gather and preserve as much energy as possible. When the panel stops producing a charge it may require a battery change or a visual check of the fixture and a quick wipe of the panel so that it can absorb more sunlight. Imagine just wiping off some panels and occasionally changing some batteries rather than having to change out piles of light bulbs every few months. The cost and effort are really minimized with solar lighting systems.

No Need for Wiring

There are no underground wires which run from the main power pole to connect the poles to one another. The power for solar lighting runs on an extremely low wattage so it is completely safe for the installation process and maintenance too. If there are any roots, underground utilities or other things that could create obstacles to installation or the maintenance of the system, there is no need to worry because trenching is not required to install solar lighting systems. No trenching means no extra work and costs that are associated with traditional lighting installation.

No Electrical Bills

Solar lighting systems do not require you to pay any costs because they are off the grid. You are not connected to any electrical system unless you want to produce and return energy to the grid. If you produce and store extra energy, you can feed it back to the electrical grid and be sent a payment instead of a bill from your local electrical company.

If you are looking to add lighting to any area that is not near an electrical source, you can accomplish that with solar lighting options. With every year that passes, solar lighting is becoming more affordable. This option is a good one for you if you have an out of the way location that needs lighting. The lights are simple to install, do not require any extra work and just need minimal maintenance. If you are looking to install lighting for a parking lot, off-grid park, bike trail, or large outdoor area such as a soccer field, this type of lighting is an excellent choice and is the perfect option that checks all the boxes. Solar lighting options are becoming easier to purchase and install and this means you will not need to hire a certified electrician to take care of the work for you. All your lighting needs can be taken care of with a few simple solar lighting fixtures. There are many benefits of solar lighting, and you are going to be happy that you decided to choose this option for lighting.