What Are the Four Core Principles of Link Building?

Key points for Link Building

33

In SEO, link building takes the lion's share in terms of resource and time allocation and for a good reason. An effective link building campaign significantly increases a website's authority. Link building has other benefits such as referrals, keyword rankings, page optimization etc. Getting an inbound link is perceived as a vote of confidence by search engines.

However, effective link building is not an easy task. It's no secret; most content creators are always trying to outsmart the search algorithms; a good number of them don't succeed. Which side would you like to be on? The losing party or the winning side? According to the link building agency:Healthy Links, here are four core principles you can follow if you want to be on the winning side.

1. Where are Your Backlinks? - Define Your Audience

Link building is more about marketing and less about technicalities. It's not about creating anchor text and getting as many backlinks as possible. This is why it is crucial to define your audience and place your links where they will have a more significant impact.

Your link building strategy should follow this principle in helping you research and identify your website's targeted audience. Once you have that, your next steps should involve getting backlinking opportunities from platforms that appeal to that audience.

Make it your goal to have links on authoritative and relevant websites in your niche. A single backlink on that website can do wonders for your site's SEO – especially if you're doing blogger outreach. Authority sites can be major news outlets, popular blogs, big social media pages, etc. Hint: there are types of content that can get you on such platforms quick. Press releases, industry-specific reports, and major disclosures are examples of such content.

Also, make a point of participating in discussions within your industry or niche. This will improve your visibility in those circles and possibly lead to valuable links.

2. What Do Have to Offer? - Content Is King

Before you think about link building, you must first create relevant content that is link-worthy. Content alone can be used as an effective link building strategy. You cannot have backlinks to thin content; it is not worth it. The best performing backlinks are those that link to your most valuable web assets.

As an example, you should not focus too much on creating backlinks to your homepage. Instead, you should aim to have the most informative blog posts or articles being mentioned and linked to across the web. Pillar article, infographics, in-depth reports, resource articles, exclusive content, and other link-worthy material will always get strong links.