20 Things We Do In Our 20s That Our Teenage Selves Would Be Ashamed Of

Because adulting is harder than we imagined.

128
pexels.com

I heard once that adulthood is like the vet, and we're all the dogs that were excited for the car ride until we realized where we were going. That analogy couldn't be truer. Adulting can be tough, and it often leads to choices our 15-year-old selves wouldn't be too happy with. Here are a few examples:

1. Teenage dream: "I'm definitely not going to let these years of wearing braces go to waste!"

Reality: You probably haven't worn your retainer in weeks...OK months.

2. Teenage dream: "I'm going to dress so fashionably in college!"

Reality: Let's be real; your go-to look is an oversized t-shirt, Norts and Birks.

3. Teenage dream: "I'm going to marry my high school sweetheart."

Reality: *breaks up with them three months after graduation.*

4. Teenage dream: "I'm SO going to meet my future spouse in college!"

Reality: You ate alone last night for the 10th time this month.

5. Teenage dream: "I'm going to find myself in college."

Reality: "Yay my Buzzfeed quiz just told me what type of pasta I am."

6. Teenage dream: I'm so glad I'm ordering all these high school mementoes. I'm going to wear my letterman jacket and class ring ALL THE TIME in college.

Reality: They've been in the back of your closet since graduation.

7. Teenage dream: In college, I'm going to eat healthy and be in the best shape of my life.

Reality: You just ordered your food via an app so you wouldn't have to get out of your apartment and/or move from the couch where you're watching Netflix.

8. Teenage dream: "Ugh, I wish I didn't have a curfew. I'm going to stay out SO late when I move out."

Reality: You're usually happily in bed by 8 p.m.

9. Teenage dream: "I'm going to keep up with all my high school friends."

Reality: Your reaction now when you see them in public:

10. Teenage dream: "My dorm room/apartment is going to be so cute."

Reality: *Texts roommate.* "Dude I just found this free couch on the side of the road!"

11. Teenage dream: "College 4.0 here I come!"

Reality: About that...

12. Teenage dream: "I'm going to stay up studying every night!"

Reality: You almost every night:

13. Teenage dream: "I'm going to make so many friends in college!"

Reality: Make that the 11th time this month.

14. Teenage dream: "I'm never going to get too drunk."

Reality: #whoops.

15. Teenage dream: *Smiles about all the hopes and dreams they have for the future.*

Reality: *Smiles about all the memes you were just tagged in.*

16. Teenage dream: "Yes, Mom, of course I'll still be a Directioner in college. Duh. "

Reality: ZAYN LEFT.

17. Teenage dream: "I can't wait to be an adult!"

Reality: "Mom, will you call my doctor for me? I don't feel like adulting."

18. Teenage dream: "It's going to be so tough to choose which company I should work for after graduation!"

Reality: Companies you've applied to: 30. Companies you've heard back from: 0.

19. Teenage dream: "I'm going to be such a good cook when I'm older."

Reality: The following is far too accurate:

20. Teenage dream: "Why can't I be in my twenties yet!?"

Reality: "Why can't I be a teenager again!?"