what i learned in 2018

18 things that 2018 taught me

4

If I am being completely honest, 2018 was not my year. We don't have to get into what made it so awful, but to be frank, the whole year just kind of sucked. Sure, there were some good things about the year: I joined a sorority that I love, made some great friends, and made some really incredible memories that will stay with me forever. There were some moments in 2018 where I was kicked in the butt, but now looking back, I see the year as a growing year for me. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, I have come out of the not-so-ideal situations and have learned some important lessons. Here are 18 things that 2018 taught me, and hopefully, it'll help you as well.

1. Let things go.

media.giphy.com

On New Year's Eve, I lost an earring, and in a way, I feel like this was symbolism for how I need to leave toxic things behind in 2018. Whether it's a bad habit, a mistake, a way of thinking, or bad memories, some things you just need to leave behind. It's in the past, and there's no changing it now, so all you can do is move forward and just try to get better. There's no reason to mope over the past. If you focus on the past all the time, then you will miss the present.

2. If someone isn't treating you right, don't keep them around.

media.giphy.com

Toxic people are SO 2018. No need to have people in your life that just pull you down. Whether they are the boy who treats you like crap or they are the girl who makes you feel terrible about yourself, they aren't worth your time or energy. Leave the toxic people from 2018 in the past.

3. You deserve people who make you happy.

media.giphy.com

Look for the people who are confident with themselves, and will lift you up, rather than pull you down. You deserve it.

4. The comparison game doesn't benefit anyone.

media.giphy.com

Yeah, we all know those Instagram famous girls who post perfect pictures and get a million likes, but a.) why does it matter in hind sight, that they have so many followers (because let's be real, they probably don't know all those people)? and b.) comparing yourself to others doesn't do anyone any good. Tearing yourself down because someone's life seems better than your's doesn't do you any good, especially since that person is only posting the "seemingly" perfect moments of their life. You don't know what they are actually going through. Maybe take a break from social media from time to time if you feel the little jealous monster creeping back in.

5. Bad days suck, but tomorrow might be better.

media.giphy.com

There's going to be some bad days, and there's going to be some good days. It's just part of life. Try to be positive.

6. Cut yourself some slack. You don't have to be perfect.

Season 8 Ok GIF by Mr. D - Find & Share on GIPHY

media.giphy.com

You're gonna make some stupid mistakes, but honestly we all have, so it's okay. Life is all about learning, and so if you did something you regret today, there's always tomorrow to be different.

7. Speak up. You deserve to be heard.

media.giphy.com

You have a voice for a reason. If something or someone is bothering you, say something.

8. True friends will be there for you even on the bad days.

media.giphy.com

Friends should be the people who care about you, and so the best friends are the ones who you can cry and laugh with and they will still see the best in you.

9. Be kind to everyone, but don't let people walk all over you.

media.giphy.com

There's a big difference between being a kind person who has respect for themselves, and being a people pleaser, who only cares that everyone likes them. Don't be the latter. People can tell when you are being fake nice, and some people might take advantage of your kindness.

10. It's okay to show your feelings.

media.giphy.com

You don't have to be a stone-cold robot who never has feelings. If some people are weird about you showing emotions, forget them. You got to let your feelings out sometimes, or it was just build up inside.

11. Being single isn't the end of the world.

media.giphy.com

Just because it seems like everyone you know is getting engaged or in a relationship, does not mean that it's a terrible thing to be single. Someone good for you will come along, until then, focus on yourself and be good to yourself. You can literally hang out with your friends and do whatever you want because there's no one stopping you. #beingsingleisgreat

12. Stop giving people second/third/fourth/fifth chances.

media.giphy.com

If you are anything like me, you see the best in people, even when they treat you wrongly over and over again. Some people won't change, which means that you shouldn't stick around waiting for them to treat you better because odds are, they aren't going to. You deserve so much better.

13. Dating in college is hard. But don't settle.

media.giphy.com

You might not find "the one" in college, and that's okay. Don't settle just because you don't want to be alone. For the ladies: if a guy is treating you like crap, he is not worth your time. There's no point in being in a relationship that doesn't make you happy.

14. Being ghosted sucks. But move on.

media.giphy.com

Love doesn't always work out. If someone you like stops answering your texts or leaves you on read a.k.a ghosting you, don't let it bother you. It's their lost after all.

15. Fake it until you make it.

media.giphy.com

Even if you don't feel confident, pretending that you are sometimes makes you feel confident and no one will ever know that you are a nervous wreck inside.

16. We are all humans.

media.giphy.com

Nobody is perfect, and sometimes people mess up or do things that annoy you. This doesn't mean that what they did was cool. However, sometimes it's important to cut some people some slack. We are all out here just trying to survive, and there's no point in being angry about little things.

17. Don't be afraid to try new things.

media.giphy.com

Don't let fear stop you from applying to a new job position, or to pursue a hobby. You can do it, if you just believe in yourself (sorry not sorry for how cheesy that sounds).

18. Be true to yourself.

media.giphy.com

In 2019, focus on you. Pick up a new hobby. Make some goals. Treat yourself to that ice cream. Be your wonderful self, and the world will take notice.