What 2017 Has Taught Me So Far

What 2017 Has Taught Me So Far

"From trying to form new habits to learning about the importance of mental health to realizing that stress can be detrimental to one’s health, 2017 has taught me a lot."

525
What 2017 Has Taught Me So Far
KaboomPics

2017 has been a transitional year for me and has been an amazing experience for me. From trying to form new habits to learning about the importance of mental health to realizing that stress can be detrimental to one’s health, 2017 has taught me a lot.

At the hands of stress, my mental health suffered. During the fall of 2016, I realized how toxic social media, and the media in general, can be. Think about it...how many times do we see lists such as “30 Under 30,” “Top 25 Successful People Under 25,” or “How To Be Successful Before 30.” This puts a great deal of pressure on us millennials to re-evaluate what we do in life, in order to be successful, productive members of society. This was me. I began to scroll through the timelines of Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, divulging into the successes of other individuals with the thought in mind, “What am I doing wrong? Why am I not on this level yet?”

Ruminating in my thoughts, I began to become heavily involved in my academic and work life. Aside from running a magazine I had started earlier in 2016, I was working two jobs, taking 15 credits, and a part of four different organizations. I thought I was on top of the world. I thought I was on my way to a successful academic career, which would lead me to a successful life after college.

Success was nothing that I began to feel. Numbness, depression, and anxiety...these were feelings I began to experience. I began to feel helpless, hopeless, worried, and anxious about my future. I felt as if I wasn’t doing enough in my life. I began to attend class less and less to further my magazine’s agenda and because I felt disconnected with my academics. When I was in class, physically I was there, but mentally my mind was elsewhere. I kept thinking about my future and how I could make myself a successful individual who would be swimming in job offers as walk across the stage for graduation.

The depression and anxiety worsened, and the stress was much more than I could handle. I strongly remember studying for an Abnormal Psychology test one afternoon, but I was disconnected. Studying for the test, I began to feel anxiety make its way through my body. I began to feel overwhelmed by everything that was going on in my life to the point where I began to have suicidal ideations. I had to medically withdraw from the semester in the fall of 2016.

During this mental break, I sought therapy, received a great treatment plan, and indulged in everything that had to do with finding myself, something that I am still doing today. When I returned in the Spring of 2017, I felt that I was growing, blossoming, and becoming a stronger version of myself. During the Spring semester, I found a new love, Social Media Management. This job built a new passion for me and eventually a future career.

I finished my Spring and Summer semesters strong, and when I returned this fall, mentally, I felt stronger than ever. The vicious cycle came back and I began to feel overwhelmed again when I thought I was at my strongest point. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, my stress levels were becoming high, thinking about graduation getting closer, and having those same thoughts about success. This landed me in the hospital for my mental health and it was at this very moment, at this time of disconnection from the world, that I had realized where I stand. Yes, I had my wavering moments this semester that almost had me in a relapse of Fall 2016, but those moments taught me something that I did not realize before.

YOU CANNOT RUSH THE PROCESS OF LIFE!!! Life happens differently for everyone. Those who may be successful before 30? You can guarantee that they have had the same thoughts and feelings that we have had. The stress, the anxiety, the depression, it can happen to anyone and does not discriminate against who it attacks. I had to realize that I am right where I need to be in life. When I tried to rush the process of life, I almost killed myself via stress and poor mental health in the process.

The old saying, “Patience is a virtue,” rings true. We must be patient with life, with college, with the process of being a successful individual in life. Life has its setbacks, trials, and tribulations...things that we cannot avoid. It is all about how we view and handle the situation, that is what is important.

We must enjoy life and all that it has to offer, the good and the bad, because it molds us into better individuals.

We must form new habits to help combat our daily stressors and anxiety. I began to start yoga and meditation as a way to help ease my mind of any and all stress and anxiety that may form. Yoga and meditation became new ways for me to stay mentally and physically fit. I can find myself listening to calm meditation music throughout the day, or even when I am tackling assignments, and I will feel a sense of peace over me.

Ladies and gentlemen, enjoy the one life that you have, take nothing seriously, and enjoy the process of life and its success. You WILL be successful, you WILL be productive, and you WILL be a memorable member of this society. It all takes time, time that we cannot rush or take for granted

Peace and Blessings to all.