The West Virginian Teachers' Strike Demonstrates How Badly We Treat Teachers In America

The treatment of their workers reflects in America's underappreciated teachers.

784
Facebook / Viralists

Teachers hold one of the most important jobs in America. There aren't many people who have the effect on children like teachers do. They can inspire, support and protect us along with frustrating and annoying us. I cannot imagine being where I am today, doing the things that I am doing, without their help and their teaching. They deserve respect and support from their governments for the effort they put in. Slowly, parts of our nation will begin to realize that the way they treat our teachers is disrespectful to the kind of work they do. That's because teachers have begun to speak up.

Recently in West Virginia, teachers went on a strike, effectively winning a five percent pay raise by closing schools for nine days. This was due to a tax cut, which in turn caused budget cuts in West Virginia, including the education sector. West Virginian teachers are also paid some of the lowest wages for teachers in the United States. People took note of this strike, and teachers in other states are moving forward with their own strikes. States such as Oklahoma have so many budget issues, they needed to switch to a four day work week, and some teachers are getting part-time jobs to compensate.

We should all support teachers' strikes, even though yes, the schools might need to be shut down.

I'm not saying this because I'm a high school student, but because I believe teachers are underpaid. The salaries do not fit the needs of teachers nor the students, especially in rural areas where local funding cannot cover many costs as richer suburban areas. We should all care about these things, everyone should have access to proper education, which is one of societies greatest equalizers.

Teachers need to pay their bills, their health needs and the needs of their families. Not only that, some teachers salaries go straight back to the school to buy supplies for the students and the classroom. Most teachers also stay behind to lead clubs, sports and tutoring, which is essentially overtime. Not only are teachers underpaid but the fact that they need to supply their classroom reflects the under-funding that the schools receive. An unfunded facility and underpaid employees defeat positive attitudes and care for their work.

Educators who are extremely dedicated may see themselves fall short and may have a second job, which may steal energy needed to teach properly.

You cannot play with a student's education, it represents their future.

SEE ALSO: Dear America, If High Schoolers Cheat, There Is Something Wrong With Our Education System

Schools that have more money per student have a higher graduation rate, and we need to get more students, especially in rural and poor areas, into college. Most new jobs are in areas where higher education will be necessary, and that begins with K-12 education. Schools that are underfunded overall will end up with more students in prison or in poverty than students graduated and in college.

An education begins with a teacher, therefore, like any other worker, they must be paid for their service. If a better-paid workforce leads to a better education it is worth the short time punishment of a week out from school. The investment in teachers is an investment in the future and in your children. The West Virginia protests show us that the educational system can change. It can get better for everyone involved.