We're Dying Over Here
Politics

We're Dying Over Here

What is in the new Republican healthcare bill?

12
We're Dying Over Here
Democracy Now!

The Senate is just days away from possibly taking a vote on the new bill to repeal and replace Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The Senate Republicans have been keeping this bill very hush-hush since it passed Congress just a few months ago. So what is in it? Well last Thursday, the bill was made public, and it's a lot worse than you think. There are several actions in this bill that you might want to have a bottle of Pepto Bismol around, because nausea may or may not be considered a pre-existing condition now.

The federal-state health program Medicaid covers nearly 70 million low income people in the United States. Under Congress' plan, they would cut over $800 billion over the next 10 years. Under the new Senate plan, that is still in effect, and since states have to balance their budgets every year, many will be forced to cut back on other funding to education or law enforcement. During the campaign, Trump vowed to save Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, but now he supports this plan. It is particularly hypocritical that Medicaid covers almost nine million children, but when it comes to women getting safe and legal abortions, we have to think about the life of the child. Did I mention that the plan wants to defund Planned Parenthood?

Just like the house bill the wealthiest Americans will see a huge tax cut. This bill will repeal ACA taxes on corporations and the wealthy that pay for insurance subsidies. The people who would suffer from this bill are the sick and the elderly. This is not the way a country should treat their citizens. The U.S. is the only industrialized nation on the planet to not have some sort of universal healthcare. Why is that, you ask? Because we are busy making sure the pharmaceutical companies get paid billions of dollars.

This bill has only a 17% approval rating. The American people do not want this bill to pass. So why are the Republicans so adamant with this thing passing? Well it is a good distraction from their President being under investigation for obstruction of justice. The Republicans also need a win. They have been the opposing party for the past 7 years. They had gotten so used to saying "No" they seem to have forgotten how to push anything through government.

Our country should be better than this. What kind of country are we to let someone die just because they don't have enough money to buy health insurance? Our constitution guarantees every American the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. How is denying citizens health care abiding by the constitution? Donald Trump promised he would not cut Medicaid, Medicare, or Social Security. Will he keep his promise, or will he bow to the Republicans on the hill? Will Trump fight for the "forgotten man," or will he bow to the Republicans? Resistance is all we have left.