I Went Without Facebook For A Month And A Half And My World Didn't Collapse

It's all good over here.
27

"You couldn't survive a day without social media" is a phrase that we as millennials hear constantly. Personally, I think that social media is an enjoyable distraction. When I don't feel like fully engaging in a conversation or topic of discussion, I'll often open my apps on my phone and scroll until my thumb goes numb. However, due to my role in my sorority's recruitment, I was required to deactivate my Facebook for around a month and a half. At first, I didn't really know how to act. I kept hovering my thumb over the place where the app once was on my phone, but I deleted it. It was an adjustment to go from checking this social media platform every day to not being able to check it at all, yet I felt cleaner, and here's why.

The fact of the matter is that you don't need to constantly stay connected on a social media platform. Instead of staying on Facebook for hours at a time, binge watching those oh so addictive Tasty videos, or spending time commenting pointless things on my friends' posts, I began to actually engage in the outside world. I was present in the conversations I was having, I was paying more attention to actual news outlets, I set aside more time for caring for myself and well-being. I set a goal to read 5 books over the summer, and I achieved that goal. I truly think that my achievement only happened because I was spending a lot less time on social media in general.

Although social media can be a fun way to connect with old friends or keep in touch with the friends you've made throughout the years, it also can suck up valuable time that you'll never get back. If I could count the collective amount of hours I've ever spent on Facebook, I can guarantee you it's at least in the hundreds. I feel somewhat shameful of that because I know that there is so much more that the world can offer me. Posting on Facebook is simply another way to gain attention from people you may otherwise not talk to. Deactivating my Facebook profile was honestly one of the better things I've ever done in my life. I wasn't concerned with what that random woman from high school was posting, I was concerned with what my actual friends were doing. I made it a point to actually call and FaceTime my friends, rather than reach out to them over a text post.

If you're thinking about giving the whole social media thing a break, I suggest doing it. It could be for a week, a month, a year, who cares. See how it goes, see what you discover about yourself, notice how present you can actually be, and be the best version of yourself that you can possibly be.