We dream of going far and wide for magnificent adventures, but rarely do we look around and see what our own state has to offer. We all want to travel coast to coast from national park to national park, and we definitely should at some point in our lives. For those who have a tough time with their work load, busy schedules, and other obligations, it can be hard to get the time off they need to embark on one of those adventures. So, what can you do?

Wisconsin and its surrounding states have a lot to offer that many people miss out on. Sure, Devil's Lake is a great way to spend your weekend, but we all crave something new each summer. Therefore, these are 6 destinations that you can turn into a weekend trip this summer.

1. Palisades State Park

Palisades

Located in South Dakota, Palisades State Park offers beautiful landscape to climbers, kayakers, and hikers. If you start your trip from La Crosse, it's only about a 4 hour and 15 minute drive!

2. Big Spring Falls

Big Spring Falls

Do you chase waterfalls? Then perhaps you'd like to spend your weekend visiting Big Spring Falls in Minnesota! It's only a 3 hour and 35 minute drive from La Crosse, so you'd have plenty of time to check out the rest that Sandstone has to offer.

3. Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park

Porcupine Mountain

You might take a long weekend if you're planning to visit Porcupine Mountains. This state park is located in the UP of Michigan, and requires about a 5 hour drive to and from La Crosse. There's plenty of hiking and camping to do, and you can definitely count on taking a swim!

4. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Pictured Rocks

This destination may give you deja-vu of the Apostle Islands located in Northern Wisconsin, but it's actually Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. This is another gem that can be found in Michigan. For this trip, you make want to take off a Thursday-Sunday or Monday because it's almost a 7 hour drive from La Crosse!

5. Red Granite Quarry

Red Granite

So, maybe you're not much of a camper or hiker. Red Granite Quarry might be where you spend your weekend! It offers plenty of swimming, and if you're an adrenaline junky, you can get your heart racing by cliff jumping! It's located here in Wisconsin, and only about a 2 hour drive from La Crosse.

6. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore

Apostle Islands

Last but not least is a top destination right here in Wisconsin (move over Devil's Lake). Similar to Pictured Rocks, the Apostle Islands in northern Wisconsin feature plenty of sea caves that can be navigated by kayak! Along with camping, hiking, and more, the Apostle Islands have more than enough to offer for a weekend of fun. Only a 4 hour and 40 minute drive from La Crosse.