As a college student, I can attest to the mass amounts of binge drinking that occurs on the weekends and sometimes weekdays of the semester. Every plan or activity seems to involve a fifth of vodka or a glass of wine. You can't tell me that a weekend of no alcohol doesn't sound like heaven on earth. If you can that's okay, we'll just entertain the idea.
Here are 10 things you can do to substitute a night out.
1. Grab a pizza and watch the sunset at a cool spot
Whether you go to school in the city, the country or near the beach, there is always a good spot to watch the sunset. Grab your favorite type of to-go food, a friend, a few blankets and have yourself a sunset.
2. Go on a food tour
Food tours are a great way to spend a Saturday night. These tours can usually be found in most cities and big towns. You sign up and pay online, meet up with the group and a guide brings you around to the best restaurants to try a sample of food from each place.
3. Take a trip
If the weather is nice, go to the beach. Take advantage of friends who have beach or even lake houses and spend the weekend relaxing. In the winter, do the same. Go skiing or snowboarding with some friends. There are so many winter activities, you surely won't run out of things to do.
4. Visit your local puppy store
This one is my favorite. Whether you're missing your own dog or you just love dogs, visit the pet store and have a day.
5. Have a "family" dinner or game night with all of your friends
It's so important to hang out with your friends when you're sober, so invite everyone over for dinner and games. Ask each person to make and bring a dish of something, it's fun to see what people will bring. Get out a deck of cards or an old favorite board game, there are endless game possibilities.
6. Rent a movie or go to the movie theater
Movie nights are the best, you're lying if you say they're not. Put on your favorite pajamas and fuzzy socks, and invite your friends over for a movie. If you're itching to get out of your apartment, go to the movie theater and pig out on candy.
7. Rent bikes or mopeds and ride them around
Over the summer, my friends and I spent a day riding rental bikes around Boston and it was the best Sunday I've ever had. You get to see the city so much better and a whole lot faster.
8. Go bowling
Bowling is so underrated. There is nothing better than getting together some of your most competitive friends and having a night at the bowling alley.
9. Take a yoga class
Imagine how good you'll feel the morning after taking a yoga class... totally beats your usual hangover. If you want to be even more adventurous, try hot yoga. Hot yoga is HARD but you feel like a million bucks after a nice cold shower.
10. Spend a whole day shopping
Let's be real, we all do this anyway.
- Have Fun Sober: 30 Things to Do Without Drugs and Alcohol ›
- Awesome Things To Do With Your Friends That Don't Involve Alcohol ›
- 13 Unique And Fun Things To Do That Don't Involve Alcohol ›
- 10 things young professionals can do for fun that don't involve drinking ›
- 53 Fun Things To Do This Summer (That Don't Involve Alcohol) ›
- A Month Without Alcohol - 30 Things to Do Instead of Drinking ... ›
- 29 Fun Things to do Without Alcohol - Insider Guides ›
- 50 Fun Things To Do Without Alcohol – Party.0 ›