My Weekend Endeavors In The Big City

My Weekend Endeavors In The Big City

A glimpse of how I spent my weekend in New York City

I got off the train two weekends ago and literally started running. And when I say running, I truly started sprinting. I swear I can never spot an open cab when I need one, and I somehow managed to spot an open one. This is when I knew it would be a good weekend.

Exiting Grand Central, I entered my cab and was on my way to my hotel in the city. We all know how obsessed I am New York City, so there’s no need for a preface, but let's just say I sat in awe, as always, staring out the window at all of the beautiful buildings. I was reunited with my happy place, and oh my, I was happy.

I am often asked of my favorite things to do while in New York City, and although most of my weekend was spent attending Fashion Week, I had a set schedule of adventures for Saturday night and all of Sunday.

On Friday night, I somehow managed to enter a taxi during the madness of Fashion Week from one of the shows I was dressing for. As I made it to my friend's apartment, I managed to find myself running again. I guess I did a lot of running this weekend.

While darting up her apartment steps, I was reunited with one of my best friends. While waiting for my other friend to arrive from her bus trip at 11 p.m., we were able to chat, catch up, and rant in person about endeavors lately in our lives. Because, you know, venting to close friends is always a must.

As I heard a loud voice screeching from outside the door, I knew it would be an amazing weekend in the city. Just a few minutes later I found myself at Otto’s Tacos on 7th Ave—strangely relating to my college mascot of Otto the Orange very much so, with two of my favorite people. After grabbing some tacos and meeting some, you know, interesting strangers, the rest of the night was filled with the best casual chat sessions with my favorite trio.

The next morning, after working my final show for Fashion Week, I quickly found myself at Pink Berry devouring a vanilla fro-yo. Amazing. We do have these shops at home, but somehow—possibly the fact it is in the city, my tastebuds enjoyed it much better. The next stop somehow was more food, being Outback Steakhouse, which was…decent. Not my favorite, but I would say that I am somewhat picky, and the fancy restaurants in the city always catch my eye a little more-so.

In all honesty, this weekend was entirely filled with eating, which I must preface, in case it seems repetitive.

I have always found the little parks and dainty places in New York City my favorite places to go. While walking past Madison Square Park on Saturday afternoon, my friends and I, of course, entered the park for a photoshoot. They can never take a photo-op for granted, EVER, which I absolutely love, because we all know how much I love pictures.

After this marvelous photo-op, we found ourselves at the Museum of Sex. Funny so, a group of older women approached us, asking how to get to this museum, and we decided we wanted to go as well. Ironically, afterwards, we headed on a scout macaroons and sat in a dainty sandwich shop, before heading back to the apartment to watch Fifty Shades of Grey.

It’s all of our absolute favorite movie series, and I’m not ashamed at all. I need to see Fifty Shades Freed ASAP, so a refresher of the first movie was needed.

After I cried myself a river over Fifty Shades, I fell asleep, waking up to tour the city, take pictures, and grab some brunch. Cafe Mocha is truly the cutest little restaurant ever, and if you’re nearby, I would greatly recommend. We all devoured our pancakes and entered the streets of NY hoping to fill our last few hours in the best way possible.

Where did we end up? The bookstore, of course.

STRAND is absolute, honestly, truly, strikingly amazing. I spent about an hour and a half rummaging through fashion, lifestyle, and romantic comedy books in this marvelous bookstore which I wanted to stay inside forever.

I made my purchases and happily walked out holding my new “The World According to Karl” book, all about one of my favorite fashion icons ever, and my “New Yorker” pencil pouch. I had to. On the scout for more macaroons, I happily entered a little cafe and could practically watch my problems as they vanished.

Macaroons are a staple treat for whenever I visit the city, and I don’t care what anyone says—these things are worth the $3 a piece.

My bus ride back to Syracuse was very bittersweet. It is awfully good that Aubrey, my close friend, entered the city to meet up with Rebecca and I, as I did fall asleep on her shoulder for a couple of hours. Sorry Aub! As we both embarked on our trip back to Upstate NY, we spent the rest of our time checking calendars for our next trip back, choosing Instagram pictures to post, and FaceTiming Rebecca regarding how much we missed her and wanted to run back.

Although, the most bitter part was looking down to notice my macaroons were already gone. I had somehow ate all of them. I hated myself for a split second, but now you know what I mean. I told you they’re amazing.